Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#169410 - 07/07/2003 14:10 Empacman, Hijack, and a Faq :)
Rezolution
enthusiast

I have been searching around the board and have seen many threads addressing lots of different empacman issues.

For one, I am worried about installing it and having it bind to my hijack menu.

Does anyone know if adding empacman will cause problems? Is there a faq anywhere with suggestions of where to store it on your empeg drives and a step by step install process? I would be curious where to put it so that it isn't effected by upgrades and the like. I am also considering adding the ;@EXEC_ONCE /drive0/var/empacman/empacman string into my ini file but then I saw someone say that doing that can use up your players resources. Is that true??

Could anyone suggest the best way to install empacman with doing the least amount of damage to empeg resources???

#169411 - 07/07/2003 21:38 Re: Empacman, Hijack, and a Faq :) [Re: Rezolution]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm not the definitive resource, but since no-one else has answered in the last 7 hours...

For one, I am worried about installing it and having it bind to my hijack menu.

If this is the only app you are going to run in hijack, there's no problem.

Does anyone know if adding empacman will cause problems?

Yes. It will not cause problems.

Is there a faq anywhere with suggestions of where to store it on your empeg drives and a step by step install process?

To the best of my knowledge, no. There are a couple of threads detailing exact install procedures buried somewhere in the programming forum, but I'm being too lazy to look them up at the moment.

I would be curious where to put it so that it isn't effected by upgrades and the like.

There is nowhere that you can put it to be completely safe from upgrades. Or, at least, that used to be true, because starting up extra applications used to require little start up scripts and a pre-init application that would get clobbered when upgrading the player software. Upgrading hijack did not have the same problem. The actual application and data files were never deleted, but if memory serves, you'd have to fiddle to get drives to remount after an upgrade, as well. With the ;@EXEC_ONCE, some of the pain of upgrading has been eliminated -- there's no need for the preinit scripts.

I am also considering adding the ;@EXEC_ONCE /drive0/var/empacman/empacman string into my ini file but then I saw someone say that doing that can use up your players resources. Is that true??

Yes. But that's true no matter what method you use to use -- preinit scripts, ;@EXEC_ONCE, or launcher. The resources that empacman takes up are negligible, though. At most, it might make your drive spin up to queue more music a little more often. (So I guess if you meant "use up all the players' resources," then the answer is no).

Hope that helps a bit...

#169412 - 08/07/2003 20:14 Re: Empacman, Hijack, and a Faq :) [Re: canuckInOR]
Rezolution
enthusiast

Well, thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions. That was a big help! I read through a bunch of different threads and I couldn't seem to get it installed... I was able to FTP it and set the permissions, but maybe I wasn't setting the exe once command correctly because it wasn't binding to my menu. It seems like it may be just slightly over my head, so I guess I shouldn't screw around with it...

If anyone ever writes a faq, detailing where to upload it, what to set file and folder permissions to, and where to add the hijack line in your config.ini, I may try it again. I am just happy that my player still works after screwing around with it trying to get it to work. No empacman for me for now

#169413 - 09/07/2003 14:16 Re: Empacman, Hijack, and a Faq :) [Re: Rezolution]
tarkie
journeyman

#169414 - 11/07/2003 07:52 Re: Empacman, Hijack, and a Faq :) [Re: Rezolution]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Does anyone know if adding empacman will cause problems?
Only if you place it on the /drive0 partition and have it run from that location all the time.

Since Drive0 is the music partition, if you run any application from that place, then you will get a failed synch each time you try to synch while it's running.

I solve this problem by only running my third party apps in @DC mode so that they only appear when I'm in the car. Since I only do synchs on AC power, the apps never interfere.

#169415 - 13/07/2003 19:01 Re: Empacman, Hijack, and a Faq :) [Re: tfabris]
Rezolution
enthusiast

Thanks Tony