Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242525 - 24/11/2004 14:36 Anyone Know a Good US Packer/Shipper
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I have an odd (and regrettable) question. I just found out that in a couple weeks we plan to close several offices of 5-10 people each (Happy Holidays! ). At this point, as far as I know, we plan to abandon the furniture and so won't need major movers.

However, I need to get the IT equipment packed and shipped back to our corporate office. I'm trying to find a company that can send out a few packers and boxes, have them (properly) box the equipment and ship it back to us, either with their own trucks or using our UPS account.

The list would typically include, for each office, 10-15 computers (including a server), smallish UPS, a printer or three, router, firewall, switches and cables. The usual IT stuff. Perhaps the monitors, but maybe not - they may not be worth packing and shipping.

If I can find such a company, some other departments might also want some stuff packed (I'm starting this query from the IT side): some notebooks and files, and perhaps the phone system would be tossed in, too.

My Google-fu is not getting me there (yet) and the phones are just ringing today.

Do any of you know of any reputable companies (preferably a single one with a reasonable footprint across the US) that could be hired to do this?

thanks,

-jk

#242526 - 24/11/2004 15:38 Re: Anyone Know a Good US Packer/Shipper [Re: jmwking]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Usually if the corporate overlords are the ones shutting down the department, they've got a cleanup team that already handles that stuff. Why is the task falling upon you?

#242527 - 24/11/2004 15:53 Re: Anyone Know a Good US Packer/Shipper [Re: tfabris]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
We're not really that big a corporation, and have never done this before. It's usually just one office, and we send a person out to oversee the closing. With this many, we (those of us in the trenches) are figuring it out as we go.

I just found out today, and the offices don't know yet.

<sigh> We've needed to close some of these offices for a while, but still...

-jk

#242528 - 25/11/2004 12:34 Re: Anyone Know a Good US Packer/Shipper [Re: jmwking]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
<sigh> We've needed to close some of these offices for a while, but still...

At least they could have waited for January...

Try freightquote.com. I use them all the time, but call them for the packing, as the web site won't know what to do.

This does sound like a job for a moving company, tho...