Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#251509 - 12/03/2005 14:34 Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Since many people here run Firefox, would you mind verifying a bug I'm seeing with all versions since the 1.0.1 release? The problem is that when a page uses javascript to create a new window (like for showing an image), instead the content gets placed in the current window.

Here's a perfect site to test this on:

http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/proddetails.asp?system_id=plsm42ubtv&seg=hm

Just click on the picture of the TV. It's supposed to pop open a new window with an enlarged image. When you click on the enlarged image it's supposed to close that new window. Well the close part works fine, but you can see what happens when done when experiencing this bug.

I'm seeing this on all Mac OS X builds so I'm really curious if other platforms are also affected. I've tested with a handful of nightly trunk builds of 1.0+ as well the recompiled/optimized G4 version. Going back to 1.0 remedies the problem (without changing any prefs).

Thanks.
Bruno

#251510 - 12/03/2005 14:57 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

Seems to work for me. You got any extensions which could be interfering with it or are out of date?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1

Edited by tman (12/03/2005 14:58)

#251511 - 12/03/2005 14:58 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
AudunE
journeyman

Loc: Trondheim, Norway
Firefox for Linux doesn`t seem to be affected by this bug.

#251512 - 12/03/2005 15:00 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
It works for me on WinXP with FireFox 1.0.1 with only the Change image option enabled in Java Script advanced area.

Extensions installed are
Nuke Anything 0.2
SALastRead 1.11.815
downTHEMALL! 0.9.4
Magpie 3.1.2

Current Theme
708090 version 1.49

#251513 - 12/03/2005 15:08 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

Just downloaded Firefox 1.0.1 for my Mac and tried again. No problems at all. It's your end I'm afraid...

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-GB; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1

Edited by tman (12/03/2005 15:51)

#251514 - 12/03/2005 15:47 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Firefox 1.0.1 w/Win2K. No problems here. That would annoy me, too.

#251515 - 12/03/2005 15:55 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

WTF. Argh. I'll download a clean 1.0.1 again to try out.

Now, if it's still a problem after that, can anyone suggest where to look for the problem? The advanced Javascript preferences don't have the ability to affect this feature as far as I can tell (I've had them at defaults and still had the problem).

After updating I also noticed that auto-complete wasn't working and I had to go into the configuration edit thing ("about:config" on address bar) to fix it (it was set to false and I had to set it back to true).

Bruno

#251516 - 12/03/2005 17:15 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Just tried it. Latest OSX, works fine.

#251517 - 12/03/2005 17:31 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Fixed. but I lost all my bookmarks, cookies, extensions, everything. Argh.

I manually backed up my profile folder, removed the original, ran Firefox again and the problem was fixed. Then copied back the entire profile folder to see if the problem would return... It didn't. But all the above info was lost which blew me away.

So I've installed my extension again: Googlebar (latest nightly), Adblock (latest experimental), Clone Window (0.2.5). All on top of a PPC 7450 optimized nightly trunk build of 03/12/05. No themes as all of them make the browser look like crap compared to defaults of the PPC optimized version. The only thing i'd like to replace are the default toolbar buttons, but everything else looks a lot more like Mac OS (and clean) than any of the overbearing themes available.

So, this is a mystery that's now gone, but was never explained. I hate those. I think my next extension install will be something to back up my bookmarks and settings. I'm lucky that the ones I lost weren't critical. Anything really important I have in a text file on the side.

Bruno

#251518 - 12/03/2005 18:58 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Have you tried Noia? It's the only theme I've seen that I like, and it's not the usual thing I go for (I've never been a fan of themes. I have the regular Windows colors and the standard Winamp one as well).

#251519 - 12/03/2005 22:11 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've used iCandy Jr. and Noia. I like the icons in iCandy better but Noia does a bettter job at skinning more of the interface and in a more consistent manner.

Neither of them look as good as the default PPC Optimized G4 builds (not including toolbar icons, just interface). Also, neither of them support the new Preferences dialog in version 1.0+ (newer than 1.0.1, as mentioned above, I'm running the latest trunk builds now).

I've just spent the last few hours setting up the latest RC of Thunderbird 1.0.1. Damnn, this program still needs some work. Even more than Firefox does. So far I've gotten everything placed/configured in a mostly-acceptable fashion, but there's just so much inconsistency in the settings - like configuring fonts (what a nightmare). And a lot of rather simple stuff requires editing the userchrome.css file by hand (like changing the display/attributes of the message list fonts). I still can't find were in the program I can tell it what type of font to use whhen composing plain-text email. It forces the use of FixedWidth, though it offers a configuration for viewing email. Inconsistent.

Bruno

#251520 - 12/03/2005 23:46 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Quote:
Fixed. but I lost all my bookmarks, cookies, extensions, everything. Argh.

I manually backed up my profile folder, removed the original, ran Firefox again and the problem was fixed. Then copied back the entire profile folder to see if the problem would return... It didn't. But all the above info was lost which blew me away.

My girlfriend has this problem with FF where it would all of a sudden delete all of her bookmarks. Just like that! We have no idea why this happens.
And get this: it happens on her notebook, and I have the exact same model. We run the same software, yet I never have a problem. And it's not like she can help it, I've seen it happening: close down FF, next run: all the bookmarks gone. Aaargh!

It seems to be a known issue, nasty enough for somebody to write an extension which will copy his bookmarks each time he closes FF. (just can't find the link for that now at this moment)

I wish they'd squash this bug, cause it's extremely annoying!

#251521 - 13/03/2005 01:10 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Oh well, I have officially given up on Thunderbird until some bugs are fixed. Not ready for my use yet. I'd rather keep using web-based email from my powerbook for now.

Major PITA bug: option to remember last selected email (should restart on same email it was quit on) - doesn't work at all.

I had spent hours getting all my mail (about 200MB in various mailboxes) into TB and setting up some extensions and making some manual adjustments to config files (to change settings that should be in the program's prefs UI) only to find that each time i started TB no message was selected nor was a folder even selected. Don't know what happened but everything but the folder list would come up blank.

I'm done. This program is a perfect example of a good idea not implemented very well. in typical open source fashion, very poor documentation (ie. no documentation save for some online thread references and tips), inconsistent UI, settings all over the place, etc. It was designed by committee and it shows. It's miles ahead of many otheer programs and it's perfect foor two user types: the newbie (who won't change anything) and the linux hacker/system admin type who will go in and recompile it to their liking, make a million config changes directly to the setup/script files. For the advanced email user it's just not there yet. Makes for a good tech preview.

In Windows I'll stick with TheBat to hold my archives.

Bruno

#251522 - 13/03/2005 04:17 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
Attack
addict

Thunderbird starts up with my Inbox selected every time. I think the remember last selected message is for news not mail, but I could be wrong.

#251523 - 13/03/2005 05:36 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I couldn't agree more with your conclusions about Thunderbird...but I'm still using it.

The bug you mentioned would be annoying for sure (if it's something you're concerned about). What concerned me for the longest time was that with my install, the spam filter flat out did not work. I'd probably be using Outlook again if it weren't far more work to convert the mail database back.

Despite the fact that the email filter is working again, it's really pretty poor. Oh well, I know there's some reason I'm sticking with it...oh yes, because I don't like "labels" in GMail.

#251524 - 13/03/2005 19:19 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: Attack]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

After trashing all settings and starting with a Clean Thunderbird (easily copied back all my mbox files) it once again started on the Inbox.

But it still didn't have a messagge selected. I just want it to come back exactly where I left off. Same messae selected, same window positions, message scrolled to the same place, message list view showing exactly the same content.

Another thing that bugged the crap out of me was not being able to custom-arrange the order of the mail folders.

Annd it suffers from the same limitation as Firefox in that it saves everything to the desktop - and this can't be changed through a UI-based pref. Let me clarrify before people jump in with "that's not true" - It is and it isn't. YES, in both Firefox and Thunderbird you can select a folder for SAVING files/attachments/downloads. However, this folder is completely ignored when you instead OPEN said file.

Firefox would do it to PDF files before passing control over to Acrobat - just dump them on the desktop. The fix for this was to install an excellent PDF plugin instead of using Acrobat (POS). Thunderbird throws files attached images onto the desktop when you try viewing them. Plus even though it obviously has image viewing capability (works in-line) you can't get it to show you an attached image in its own window. Doh. There should (obviously) be a definition for a TEMP folder or it should use the system's temp folder when you OPEN a file. That way the temp items can get purged when you shut the app down.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they address these things by the time 1.1 is released at the end of the summer.

Apple's Mail program has too many limitations right now but might be interesting once I see the version built into Tiger.

Bruno

#251525 - 13/03/2005 21:18 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: hybrid8]
Attack
addict

When I open PDF's it doesn't store it on my desktop. I even used Filemon from Sysinternals to see where is does store the file. In my Temp folder like I think it should with a .tmp extension. I repeated the test with a zip file with the Open option. It again is writing the file in the temp folder but this time it used the .zip extension.

Now I am using WinXP SP2 so maybe that has something to do with it.

#251526 - 14/03/2005 02:34 Re: Verify Firefox OpenWindow Bug? [Re: Attack]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I did some research on the net and found info confirming it uses a temp folder on Windows and Linux.. Couldn't find anything confirming that for the Mac. Nor where to define its temp folder...

Bruno