Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#260624 - 16/07/2005 20:46 My cat keeps eating my headphones...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Seriously. She eats the wires. Usually, it's been because I was careless and left the headphones on the ground, but once she even did it while I was wearing them! She comes up and plays with the wire. The cord gets cut and no sound. I have some expensive headphones too that she's chewed through. Just today, another headset - wasted.

If anyone has any advice on preventing this, I'm all ears. Maybe some stainless steal brake lines over the wires?

I want to get my headphones fixed. The repairs seem like they'd be so simple, but I can't splice wires that tiny. Am I going to get raped going to some electronics repair shop for something like this? I have about 4 or 5 sets to get fixed.

#260625 - 16/07/2005 20:59 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Buy headphones with replacable cables? All my sennheiser cans have removable cables. Either that or cordless ones. Unless your headphones are seriously expensive and have captive cables then I'd say chuck them away.... and give your cat a kick up the arse.

I think brake line covers are likely to be too stiff.

Andy M

#260626 - 16/07/2005 22:17 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: andym]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I actually have a nice set of Sennheisers, but replacing the cable is like 50 bucks!

#260627 - 17/07/2005 00:03 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Spray wires with bitter-apple cat repellent or hot pepper sauce.

Surround wires with double-sided sticky tape.

I got these suggestions from a website on bad cat behavior, they were meant for plant eating but they should work for wires too.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#260628 - 17/07/2005 00:28 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
My cat keeps eating my headphones...

Now let me think about this... cat....headphones........cat...headphones....

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#260629 - 17/07/2005 01:02 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Viz comic suggests moving to the UK (where we have a 240v mains supply) and fitting a 13Amp plug on the end of the cable. Coat it in Cattomeat and wait. That should help stop it!

#260630 - 17/07/2005 15:07 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I'm with Andy. A well aimed kick up the arse each time it does it. It will learn!

#260631 - 17/07/2005 16:26 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
While I wouldn't advocate kicking kitty in the ass, he does need a not so subtle reminder of who the biped is. I'd reccommend a water pistol and a loud noise. i'd also second the bitter apple. The hot sauce smell under my nose would make me sick. Or put the headphones in a place the cat doesn't go.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#260632 - 17/07/2005 20:30 Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... [Re: Heather]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I have learned over the years (I guess the cat is training me rather than the other way around!) to put the headphones in a hard to reach place with the cable wound up. But all it takes is "one time" for her to do it. What really stinks is that she knows to not do it when I'm around, so it always happens sometime at night. This time, she even managed to jump on top of my PC tower and get the cable even though it was wound up. Since I don't know about it for a day or so, punishment in the form of a light tap on the nose doesn't do much good. She doesn't remember what I'm punishing her for.

It looks like I'm going to have to try some pepper or other type of deterent.... I just hope I can repair these things cheaply.