Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262203 - 05/08/2005 00:59 ID that socket type!
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA

It's about 6mm in diameter. Anyone know what type of socket that is or where to source one?

Backstory:
I just purchased a used (barely) Flytec 4010 variometer (for paragliding), and would like to be able to get data off of it with the data port. But the PC cable didn't come with it, and I can't seem to find it online (at least not for less than US$65+).

I could easily make the cable myself for dirt cheap since Flytec is nice enough to provide the pinouts of the cable in the manual, but I have never seen the socket that Flytec uses.

So the question is... does anyone know what type of socket that is and/or where to source one? Or is it a Flytec proprietary jack?

Attachments
262048-FlytecSocket.jpg (93 downloads)

Edited by loren (05/08/2005 01:00)

#262204 - 05/08/2005 02:44 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: loren]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Mouser has an entire section of round connectors in their catalog.
Link

Matt

#262205 - 05/08/2005 03:55 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: msaeger]
loren
carpal tunnel

Yea... I've been paging through their annoying PDF catalog for a while now... still don't see anything like it. Thanks for the link though... still lookin.

#262206 - 05/08/2005 05:40 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: loren]
loren
carpal tunnel

Reading through the tech specs I noticed it says :

Data port
Four pin ultra-mini DIN interface port for connection to a PC or a computer printer.

It does look like a 4 pin DIN interface, but the DIN and mini-DIN circular 4-pin connectors I can find are all too large, and I can't find reference to ultra mini DIN anywhere. The sleuthing continues...

#262207 - 05/08/2005 14:16 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I could easily make the cable myself for dirt cheap since Flytec is nice enough to provide the pinouts of the cable in the manual, but I have never seen the socket that Flytec uses.

When all else fails, use brute force. If I were in your shoes, since I have the pinouts, I'd cut up the casing and solder my own standard serial port there, making it all rugged with generous helpings of hot glue. That way, the only thing between it and the host PC is a single easily-replaceable serial cable. Dongles break and fray too easily.

Or you could just jerry rig it. If you only need it to pull data once in a while, and if the conneciton doesn't have to be rugged, then just use some bits of wire and get some of the female pins out of a radio shack serial port kit, and attach those to the appropriate pins.

#262208 - 05/08/2005 15:38 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: loren]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
That is the kind of socket we have on our internal comm network (for the headsets/helmets). Other than that, I'm no help at all

#262209 - 05/08/2005 15:58 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: loren]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Not sure if this is what your looking for but they have some mini din connectors listed here
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#262210 - 05/08/2005 16:12 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: SonicSnoop]
loren
carpal tunnel

Tony.... actually, that's a great idea. Just slap some pins on there. Probably end up doing just that!

Tim... That might be of help. If I know what that socket is usually used for I'll have a better idea of where to search

Darrell... Thanks for the link. Turns out it's definitely not DIN or mini-DIN. A buddy seems to think it was a pretty common connector back in the late 80's ... maybe an early DIN format or something.

#262211 - 05/08/2005 20:25 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Quote:

When all else fails, use brute force. If I were in your shoes, since I have the pinouts, I'd cut up the casing and solder my own standard serial port there, making it all rugged with generous helpings of hot glue. That way, the only thing between it and the host PC is a single easily-replaceable serial cable. Dongles break and fray too easily.

Now I like where you are heading, but I would take this one step less far.

I have become a great fan of common 4-conductor trailer connectors like yo. If there was room, I would JB Weld one of those inside the case and then fab a custom trailer-to-DB9 serial cable. The are pretty rugged, stay together, and don't stick out much.

Quote:
Or you could just jerry rig it.

OK, I was going to say "'jerry rig' or 'jury rig'?" but this interesting note suggests that neither may be the perfect fit! As a word-derivation Bitt I am a failure

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#262212 - 06/08/2005 09:06 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: jimhogan]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
have become a great fan of common 4-conductor trailer connectors

Now why can't we stick with something nice and simple like that instead of the blighted 13 pin euroconnector. I think that the motto of European bureaucrats is "Change, but don't try to improve": Do a seen to be doing job.

#262213 - 06/08/2005 10:52 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: boxer]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Any time I am looking for a really odd connector, I wander over to Sphere Research. It is a Canadian based company / hobbiest that has supplied me with all kinds of nixie and assorted obscure / archaic stuff for a while now. You might want to drop them an email.

#262214 - 06/08/2005 12:27 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: tfabris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Another idea is to break apart a plug with the same pin diameter and then glue the sleeves into holes drilled a piece of plastic, then add the hot glue or whatever to form the plug body. Might be tricky to get the ground/sleeve connected properly but it might not be required.

Gareth

#262215 - 06/08/2005 13:30 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: loren]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I'm not vaguely taking any responsibility for what may lead you astray, but I've recently spent an age looking for the din plug for the control socket of my Revox, involving googling and poring over endless DIN specs. all of which are like knitting fog.
This "female plug" (A contradiction in terms, I feel) rings a slight bell: on a quick google, I came up with a J4D, but I'm not sure whether that's a din or a mini-din.
However, when I googled that, I came up with these people, why not email them your photo and see if they can help?

#262216 - 06/08/2005 21:43 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: jimhogan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
OK, I was going to say "'jerry rig' or 'jury rig'?" but this interesting note suggests that neither may be the perfect fit! As a word-derivation Bitt I am a failure

Would Goldburg be Inappropriate.

Edited by gbeer (06/08/2005 21:45)

#262217 - 10/08/2005 10:52 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: tfabris]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Quote:
Or you could just jerry rig it. If you only need it to pull data once in a while, and if the conneciton doesn't have to be rugged, then just use some bits of wire and get some of the female pins out of a radio shack serial port kit, and attach those to the appropriate pins.

To add to Tony's suggestion, once you have it all hooked up like this, give a little spray of wd40 or something in the port and then fill it with hot glue. once it hardens you should be able to pull out your new plug.

#262218 - 10/08/2005 12:51 Re: ID that socket type! [Re: ShadowMan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:

To add to Tony's suggestion, once you have it all hooked up like this, give a little spray of wd40 or something in the port and then fill it with hot glue. once it hardens you should be able to pull out your new plug.

Slick, I like that idea.

Andy M