Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270560 - 24/11/2005 17:14 Their god less valid?
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
From last Saturday to Tuesday I staffed an academic symposium at a large downtown hotel (mostly I babysat laptops, projectors and such).

On Saturday AM, as I rode the escalator, I noticed a "Gay and Lesbian (something or other) Conference" on the hotel's conference board.

At about 10AM, I looked out the window and noticed a police sergeant standing on the sidewalk. A few minutes later, seven or eight people showed up, one of them carrying a stack of signs. Several of them pulled on brightly-colored T-shirts that said "God Hates Fags!", two of them wrapped themselves in large USA flags which they proceeded to tread on, and they all picked up one of the signs that either said "God Hates Fags!" or something more bizarre, more hateful, and/or more crude. One of them had a small bullhorn and, during a break, they attracted a fair amount of interest from conference participants, many of whom had come from overseas.

With my wireless laptop, I Googled a bit, and I was able to tell a gent from Sweden that the folks on the sidewalk were likely members of the W3ztb0r0 B4pt1zt Church (trying not to give them anymore Google time here!). These folks chanted until about 12 Noon, took a lunch break, and then returned to chant from 1PM until around 3PM.

In another (Walmart?) thread recently, I poked some fun at the notion of the mysterious, inscrutable god. The god that makes it hard to figure out what He/She/It wants us to do. Well, it seemed pretty clear that these WBC folks suffer no such tribulation. They seem to know *exactly* what their god wants them to do. Given how nasty those folks were, it occurred to me that I should be more sympathetic to folks -- politicians, say -- who are having a little more difficulty figuring out exactly what their deity wants them to do.

All that being said, as I looked out at this disagreeable group on the sidewalk, I asked myself:

- What makes their god less valid?

Why is their god not the one, true god? Whatever we think of their god's message, their god does not seem to have any problems with communication. The message could not be more clear.

So, I am prepared, for the sake of argument, to adopt a devil's advocate position: The god of WBC is not only not *less* valid, it is more valid than yours.

Eh?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#270561 - 24/11/2005 18:00 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
visuvius
addict

My argument as to why their god is invalid is pretty simple I guess. I don't think God hates. So, "God hates Fags" is an inaccurate statement. If they got that from their god, than their god is invalid, because again, God doesn't hate anything.

I'm sure he feels pretty strongly against a lot of things like republicans and black licorice, but I just don't think he hates anything.

Does that make sense? Maybe not. Did to me.

#270562 - 24/11/2005 18:10 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: visuvius]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
The God of the Bible is a God of both love and hate. While the Bible is clear about what God hates, it is even more clear that God loves his creation. I strongly disagree with any "Christian" (and I use the term lightly) that would publicy show hatred against a group of people in the name of God, especially in an attempt to shame them into conversion (if that was indeed their goal). If anything, they are missing the big picture: that God loved the world so much that He sent a sacrifice so that all can know Him.

#270563 - 24/11/2005 18:16 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
Cybjorg
addict

According to the WBC website, God hates Jews and Blacks as well. I'm sure Polish and Gypsys aren't far down the list. Perhaps their god is Hitler?

#270564 - 24/11/2005 18:38 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
You thrive on this stuff don't you?

To start off, I guess I disagree with a premise or two that this conversation is started on. First of all, just because someone thinks they know the "message" loud and clear does not in any way mean that they are correct. My wife can attest to this! So, despite the fact these guys are 100% sure "their God" hates homosexuals, that doesn't mean there isn't a huge "communication" problem here. In fact, I'm not aware of the Christian God hating any group of people. Certain behaviors like homosexuality and me not honoring my mother and father might be frowned upon, but nothing to the point of hatred.

More importantly however, I don't buy into the whole "my God" vs. "your God" thing. I don't think there is a Lutheran God, a Catholic God and a W3ztb0r0 B4pt1zt Church God. I'd even go so far as to say I don't believe in a Jewish God, a Christian God and a Islamic God. I believe that there is just one God and there happens to be ton of different interpretations of God. And many of those differences in interpretation happen to be driven by politics rather than idiology. (Does anyone really think the "Protestant vs. Catholic" conflict in Ireland was driven by hatred over Vatican control?)

I've found that most Christians that I've talked to believe this as well. That Muslims, Jews and Christians are all praying to the same God. We just have very differant interpretations of God.

So when I come across some group like your W3ztb0r0 B4pt1zts, I rarely ever try to understand them from a theological viewpoint. I know enough about Christianity to know their hatred must be rooted in something else. Their problem is very much rooted in a communication breakdown and is driven, IMO, by something unrelated.

The same could be said for the suicide bombers in Islam. They pray to the same God as more peace loving Muslims, but they are being driven by an outside force (politics, what have you) and are being exploited by people that feed off of that hatred in order to gain power.

So, like I said, rather than look at this in a theological way, I tend to look at it in a psyological or sociological way. Most homophobes I know have severe insecurities. I bet their wives can attest to that.

#270565 - 24/11/2005 18:46 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: visuvius]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
My argument as to why their god is invalid is pretty simple I guess. I don't think God hates. So, "God hates Fags" is an inaccurate statement. If they got that from their god, than their god is invalid, because again, God doesn't hate anything.

I'm sure he feels pretty strongly against a lot of things like republicans and black licorice, but I just don't think he hates anything.

Heh, that's what you think. Here is what they know:

Quote:
To every lover of Arminian lies -- believing and preaching that God loves every individual of mankind -- we say, You are going to Hell! Period! End of discussion! God's decree sending you to Hell is irreversible! Hypocrites! How can ye escape the damnation of Hell?!

So, the first Google hit for WBC in not a parody!? Amazing!

(BTW, about licorice: infidel! )
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#270566 - 24/11/2005 19:07 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
So, like I said, rather than look at this in a theological way, I tend to look at it in a psyological or sociological way.

I agree that's a reasonable approach. That's how I look at any religion. Some interpretations of (hypothetical) god(s) lead to volunteer work at soup kitchens and orphanages, others to blowing up people one doesen't even know (and oneself, for good measure). Interpretation depends on interpreters, not some inherent truth value of religion in case.

BTW, good point about "religious" conflicts having nothing to do with religion.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#270567 - 24/11/2005 20:50 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
sorry but this did remind me of this here

From a tree hugging salad eating mate of mine with a recording studio

#270568 - 25/11/2005 08:50 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
First of all, just because someone thinks they know the "message" loud and clear does not in any way mean that they are correct.

More importantly however, I don't buy into the whole "my God" vs. "your God" thing. I don't think there is a Lutheran God, a Catholic God and a W3ztb0r0 B4pt1zt Church God. I'd even go so far as to say I don't believe in a Jewish God, a Christian God and a Islamic God. I believe that there is just one God and there happens to be ton of different interpretations of God. And many of those differences in interpretation happen to be driven by politics rather than idiology. (Does anyone really think the "Protestant vs. Catholic" conflict in Ireland was driven by hatred over Vatican control?)

The same could be said for the suicide bombers in Islam. They pray to the same God as more peace loving Muslims, but they are being driven by an outside force (politics, what have you) and are being exploited by people that feed off of that hatred in order to gain power.

So, like I said, rather than look at this in a theological way, I tend to look at it in a psyological or sociological way. Most homophobes I know have severe insecurities. I bet their wives can attest to that.

Very well said, especially the bits above. I don't have a problem with anybody whether they believe or not, religion and politics are inextricably linked that's undeniable. And as you've said all the homophobes I've known have deep insecurites.

#270569 - 25/11/2005 20:06 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, Jim's coming at it from more of a humanist viewpoint whereby Gods exist because of their followers, or, rather, that Gods exist only in the minds of their followers. Of course, that kind of interrupts the notion that their God can be more valid, since they would all be as valid as the followers.

That said, if that humanist viewpoint is incorrect, and God is inscrutable, how can you be so sure that you're getting the correct message and that they're the ones getting a garbled transmission? Then apply that to your sociopolitical viewpoint on religions.

#270570 - 25/11/2005 21:49 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: visuvius]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Not sure if is correct, but when I say "valid" I tend to tie that to some amount of logic and tests of internal and external consistency...a statement or belief is consistent *within* itself -- doesn't contradict itself "if the birds that build bluebird nests are bluebirds, then bluebird nests are built by bluebirds"-- and is consistent with external references, like I have lots of video footage of bluebird nest-building and I have never seen a report or some other bird building a bluebird nest.

Quote:

As plain old Jim, I'd say that your premise is flawed. You don't think your God hates, but that sounds like wishfui thinking, just your assumption of how it should be.

Putting on my WBC devil's advocate hat, I guess I would just trot out some biblical references from their FAQ: "God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy, and whom He will He hardeneth (Romans 9:18)." and point out that God does *indeed* hate. You just don't want to admit it.

Quote:

No comment!

Quote:
Does that make sense? Maybe not. Did to me.

Your argument has internal consistency, but the logic is circular.

As WBC DA I could simply offer the counterargument "I know God hates homosexuals. So, 'God doesn't hate homosexuals' is an inaccurate statement. If you got that from your god, than your god is invalid, because again, God hates homosexuals."

To add a questionable dose of external validity to this, I could testify as to how God made himself apparent to me one night, proved beyond any doubt that he *was* God (by some means that I am not at liberty to discuss) and let me know that he absolutely, positively *hates* homosexuals.

When did your God last spend some one-on-one quality time with you?

And if the One, True God doesn't hate, why did he kill another 30 innocents in Baghdad today?

#270571 - 25/11/2005 22:05 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: Cybjorg]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The God of the Bible is a God of both love and hate.

I have not devoted any time to becoming a biblical scholar, but I do remember that whole pillar of salt thing. Do homosexuals get turned into a pillar of salt?

Quote:
While the Bible is clear about what God hates, it is even more clear that God loves his creation.

Not according to WBC. And they seem to have the biblical quotes to back it up.

Quote:
I strongly disagree with any "Christian" (and I use the term lightly) that would publicy show hatred against a group of people in the name of God, especially in an attempt to shame them into conversion (if that was indeed their goal). If anything, they are missing the big picture: that God loved the world so much that He sent a sacrifice so that all can know Him.

OK, you strongly disagree with them, but how do you know/demonstrate that they are wrong?

I hope you'll understand that it was all I could do to restrain myself -- to keep from going down and insulting them, perhaps even spitting on them. I didn't. Not because they don't deserve it, but because it is my firm sense that they would be *thrilled* if I did.

Quote:
According to the WBC website, God hates Jews and Blacks as well. I'm sure Polish and Gypsys aren't far down the list. Perhaps their god is Hitler?

WBC DA: Our God is the one, true God of the Bible. If you want to ignore him then that's your tough luck.

#270572 - 26/11/2005 00:42 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That said, if that humanist viewpoint is incorrect, and God is inscrutable, how can you be so sure that you're getting the correct message and that they're the ones getting a garbled transmission? Then apply that to your sociopolitical viewpoint on religions.

Well, with something like religious faith, it's hard to "prove" one side vs. another. Faith (religious, marriage or otherwise) is often defined as believing in something without needing concrete proof. So, I can't say that a humanist viewpoint is incorrect compared to my viewpoint but perhaps I can say it's "incorrect for me." Was I reading too much into what you wrote? I'm just trying to be deliberate about not coming off as "you're wrong, I'm right."

As I write this, I'm thinking that a humanist fueling a debate on which particular group's view of God is "more valid" makes about as much sense as me fueling a debate between two feuding camps of gamers on which is better, the PS3 or the XBox 360. I know nothing about either system and nothing they could say would convince me to buy into either one.

Back to your rewording of the original debate: (H)ow can you be so sure that you're getting the correct message and that they're the ones getting a garbled transmission? That's quite easy. Because they are calling themselves Christians, I not only feel I have a little personal experience on my side, but I also have 2000+ years of history as well. With the exception of a handful of groups like this, Christianity has never been self-described in a way that these guys are demonstratiing. In fact, their messages of hatred are in direct contrast to the core teachings of Christianity. And, being Lutheran, I put less faith in any doctrine if it can't be found in the Bible. Because Christianity is based on the teachings of the Bible, the fact that this group contradicts the Bible makes it easy to conclude that their message is the garbled one and not mine.

If this group had called themselves something other than Christians, I'd have more trouble proving they were ideologically wrong, but any of us would have a field day proving this group was morally and ethically wrong.

A more interesting debate, IMO, would be between Lutherans and Catholics on the Vatican's system of sainthood or a debate between Jews and Christians on whether or not Jesus was the messiah. Those debates really come down to a matter of faith and can have a "point/counterpoint" discussion going. But they would only be of interest to people who believe in God and would likely be boring to someone looking to disect from a humanist perspective. In contrast, the group that Jim ran into isn't worth debating. They are simply bigots hiding behind the name of something they shouldn't be.

#270573 - 26/11/2005 05:54 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
Cybjorg
addict

Quote:
I have not devoted any time to becoming a biblical scholar, but I do remember that whole pillar of salt thing. Do homosexuals get turned into a pillar of salt?

I don't know a homosexual in the Bible who was turned into a pillar of salt. Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt while fleeing from the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, which were being destroyed because of their extreme wickedness. God had commanded those who were escaping not to look back upon the destruction. Lot's wife's sin is generally attributed to a greater love and desire for the things of the world as opposed a desire to obey God's direct instruction.

Quote:
Not according to WBC. And they seem to have the biblical quotes to back it up.

What their biblical quotes illustrate is that God hates sin. At the same time, they fail to point out is that God loves sinners. Their biblical "illustrations" are a bit one sided.

Quote:
OK, you strongly disagree with them, but how do you know/demonstrate that they are wrong?

Their teaching is anti-biblical. I'm afraid I don't have time to pull up every reference about Jesus' sacrifice for sinful mankind and his mercy towards all who would accept him. There are also verses concerning believers showing the love of God to all men (thereby they will know that you are his disciples), etc., but I'm sure most of you are familiar with these verses.

It's easy for anyone to take a handful of verses from the Bible and support a personal argument and agenda. In these situations, however, such verses are either taken out of context or are extremely unbalanced when compared to other biblical texts.

Quote:
WBC DA: Our God is the one, true God of the Bible. If you want to ignore him then that's your tough luck.

Well, I have a hard time believing this statement when Jesus claims to have died for all of mankind, not just Anglo-Saxon homosexual haters. Their statements of belief and their actions are in complete opposition to each other.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection of their website, I came upon this verse which they use as ammunition in their crusade against homosexuality:

Quote:

Proverbs 6:16-19 - These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I can't help but note how much of this list WBC is guilty of.

Edited by Cybjorg (26/11/2005 06:13)

#270574 - 26/11/2005 05:58 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cybjorg
addict

Quote:
A more interesting debate, IMO, would be between Lutherans and Catholics on the Vatican's system of sainthood or a debate between Jews and Christians on whether or not Jesus was the messiah.

Don't forget the debate between Islam and Christianity as to which is correct.

#270575 - 26/11/2005 22:25 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
- What makes their god less valid?
Depends on what you mean by "less valid". Legally they are free to persue their beleifs, whatever you or I think. In that case their beliefs are as equally valid as anyone else's. From a personal perspective, we each have to make decisions about what we think is valid. It is certainly reasonable for me to find their views and actions invalid, and it is reasonable for you to asses my view and theirs as equally invalid, if that is what you believe.

Of course, if they claim to be a church goverened by the Bible then there is that rule by which you can determine their validity, especially if you believe that the Bible is the "word of God" (I do, and of course you do not). It is meaningless for me to try and argue to you why their beliefs are inconsistent with our scriptures, but certainly any Bible believing church is going to take issue with their actions and beliefs. As previously stated, they twist a few scriptures to make their points, and from a standpoint of orthodox Christianity, this is invalid, especially since it doesn't line up with the most central theme of the Bible regarding forgiveness by grace and not works.

#270576 - 27/11/2005 02:16 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Well, crap, I just crafted a pretty lengthy response to your post and then got a "form no longer valid when I hit submit. It wasn't up on screen for long. Teach me to use an external editor more often.

I don't think I can deal with much more typing until tomorrow.

Jim

Quote:

You thrive on this stuff don't you?

To start off, I guess I disagree with a premise or two that this conversation is started on. First of all, just because someone thinks they know the "message" loud and clear does not in any way mean that they are correct. My wife can attest to this! So, despite the fact these guys are 100% sure "their God" hates homosexuals, that doesn't mean there isn't a huge "communication" problem here. In fact, I'm not aware of the Christian God hating any group of people. Certain behaviors like homosexuality and me not honoring my mother and father might be frowned upon, but nothing to the point of hatred.

I've found that most Christians that I've talked to believe this as well. That Muslims, Jews and Christians are all praying to the same God. We just have very differant interpretations of God.

So when I come across some group like your W3ztb0r0 B4pt1zts, I rarely ever try to understand them from a theological viewpoint. I know enough about Christianity to know their hatred must be rooted in something else. Their problem is very much rooted in a communication breakdown and is driven, IMO, by something unrelated.

#270577 - 27/11/2005 13:21 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Well, crap, I just crafted a pretty lengthy response to your post and then got a "form no longer valid when I hit submit. It wasn't up on screen for long. Teach me to use an external editor more often.

I don't think I can deal with much more typing until tomorrow.

Jim

Grrr... I hate that! I usually do a quick Select All/Copy of the text box before hitting submit now. I've been burned like that too many times!

Patiently waiting for reply.

#270578 - 27/11/2005 13:59 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: JeffS]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
It is certainly reasonable for me to find their views and actions invalid, and it is reasonable for you to asses my view and theirs as equally invalid, if that is what you believe.

For me (and, presumably, Jim) it is not a matter of belief, but logic (as Mr. Spock would say ): there are so many mutually exclusive "true Gods", and each has a nice bunch of followers absolutely convinced in "The Truth" of their respective religion, that the only rational conclusion is that none of them is real. The fact that I don't see any sign of divine presence in the world, while I do see plenty of phycological and sociological mechanisms giving rise to belief in supernatural, also helps, of course.

But all this is beating a dead horse: we have been through this more that once.

What I would like to see is a debate between several knowledgeable Bible scholars using different parts of [what seems to me to be] internaly inconsistent collection of holly texts to defend their respective shades of Christianity. You know, like a court drama: using the same evidence to reach different conclusions; for me that kind of stuff was always interesting to watch. I am sure there are untold forests of dead trees on this subject, but live sparring is more fun. We wouldn't have an eloquent devout Catholic or Orthodox around here?

More seriously, can anyone recommend an accessible (to an infidel) book on genesis and differences between different strains of Christians?

Edit: Hm, this 'strain' sounds like strain of E. coli, for example. No offense indended.

Edited by bonzi (27/11/2005 14:01)

#270579 - 27/11/2005 15:43 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I notice that both you (Jeff) and Brad essentially base your claim that your God (Gods?) is correct on the fact that you feel that your version is right. I guess I just don't understand how either one of you can base your life on an assumption. I mean, there are certain things that I feel are inherent to my being, things that I feel that don't have any particular basis in rational thought, like an aversion to spiders or the desire to not kill or the desire to argue, etc. But I don't see these things as having been created by a supreme being (that is, I don't feel the necessity to anthropomorphize these feelings) but I just see them as parts of my personality as filtered through both evolution and experience.

Hmm. Do you view your personalities as having been created by God?

#270580 - 27/11/2005 21:22 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you feel that God doesn´t exist, or do you have proof?

#270581 - 27/11/2005 21:26 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:

Which particular God?

#270582 - 27/11/2005 21:29 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

Which particular God?

Any.

#270583 - 27/11/2005 21:34 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My point is that nobody has concrete scientific proof whether God exists or not. Whether or not you believe in any god, it´s based on your personal feelings.

I feel, like many christians, that the muslim god doesn´t exist, and you feel the same way. What´s the difference?

Edited by Billy (27/11/2005 21:40)

#270584 - 27/11/2005 22:12 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Do I have proof that anything and everything anyone can imagine does not exist!? Strange logic, no?

But as I said, this amounts to beating a dead horse. We are rehashing the samo old arguments....

#270585 - 27/11/2005 23:35 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Do I have proof that anything and everything anyone can imagine does not exist!? Strange logic, no?

Then how do you know that God doesn´t exist? You only have faith that he doesn´t.

Quote:
But as I said, this amounts to beating a dead horse. We are rehashing the samo old arguments....

I dunno. I thought I just saw his eye twitch. I´m getting my 9 iron.

#270586 - 28/11/2005 00:27 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: ]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Quote:
I feel, like many christians, that the muslim god doesn´t exist, and you feel the same way. What´s the difference?

Three Faiths, One God: Judaism, Christianity, Islam

#270587 - 28/11/2005 02:41 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: ]
Cybjorg
addict

Quote:
I feel, like many christians, that the muslim god doesn´t exist, and you feel the same way.

Actually, I believe the Muslim God exists. In fact, like Larry pointed out, I believe that Muslims, Christians, and Jews all worship the same God. Each faith has different ideas concerning the attributes of God, as well as the path to salvation. All three can't be right, of course, but that's a different discussion.

#270588 - 28/11/2005 22:50 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
Then how do you know that God doesn´t exist? You only have faith that he doesn´t.

Do I have a proof there isn't a monster under my bed? I don't, and neither do you, but I will bet you €20 that there isn't. Just a sec.... I looked: now I have a proof, there isn't. I won.

There in infinitely (as in cardinality of, say, real numbers, 2 to the power of aleph-zero) more things that don't exist than those that do. So, for any given apparently non-existing thing (that is, one that gives not a clue of its existence, and not even circumstantial evidence hints it might actuely be there somewhere) it is very practical to adopt a working hypothesis that is actually does not exist.

There is infinity of possible gods. By their very nature, they are mutualy exclusive. I see no evidence that any of them exist. Even if one of them does exist (and there can be only one god or at most one pantheon), probability for any given particular god to be the one is approaching zero. Therefore, I assume it is zero.

Look, if we don't make salami quickly out of this horse, it is going to spoil.

#270589 - 29/11/2005 02:34 Re: Their god less valid? [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Do I have a proof there isn't a monster under my bed? I don't, and neither do you, but I will bet you €20 that there isn't. Just a sec.... I looked: now I have a proof, there isn't. I won.

That is something that can be tested. It can be proved or disproved. You can´t do either regarding the existance of God.

Quote:
There are infinitely ... more things that don't exist than those that do. So, for any given apparently non-existing thing (that is, one that gives not a clue of its existence, and not even circumstantial evidence hints ...) it is very practical ... that it actually does not exist.

You´re using fuzzy math. You´re basically saying that if a branch falls in the woods and nobody is there to witness it and there is no evidence of it ever happening, then it doesn´t exist.

Besides, if you took a worldwide poll asking people if they believe in some sort of higher being, the result would be overwhelmingly in favor of it. I would say that counts as a "clue of its exitence".

Quote:
There is infinity of possible gods ... they are mutualy exclusive ... probability for any given particular god to be the one is approaching zero. Therefore, I assume it is zero.

There is an infinite number of outcomes for what will happen tomorrow on planet Earth. The probability of any given outcome actually occuring is also approaching zero. If you assume that it is zero, then that means no outcome for tomorrow exists, and sometime between now and tomorrow will be the end of the world. Assumptions make bad logic.

By the way, what are the odds of life forming and evolving on Earth after the Big Bang? Pretty close to zero I imagine.

Besides, the point of the possibility of God existing is that this higher being doesn´t play by the same rules as we do. Therefore you can´t use things like science, math, and human logic to describe, find, prove/disprove, or figure out God.

Imagine a stick figure that lives in a two-dimensional world trying to imagine three-dimensional space. It´s impossible. He can write theories about it and draw reflections of 3d cubes in 2d space, but he´ll never experience it.

Imagine how small a one-cell organism is and how small its comprehension is of its surroundings. Now think about how incredibly brilliant a dog is in comparison. Yet, a dog will never figure out things like atomic reactions, internal combustion engines, computer systems, or perhaps sometimes even simple stuff like levers, pulleys, and ball-fetching.

If dogs were at the top of the food chain, they´d be pretty cocky, too. Cause that´s what we are. Just cocky, arrogant, little humans, who think they know, or will eventually know, fuck-all about the universe and their existence. We understand concepts that a dog would never dream of, and dogs understand things that are impossible for single-celled organisms to comprehend. Imagine how we would appear to something many times smarter than we are. If there is a God that is infinitely more knowing than we are, what makes you think you´re capable of understanding his existence?

We´re just a tiny little speck on a planet, that occupies a miniscule speck in a solar system, that is an astronimically small speck in the universe. And we think we know every damned thing there is to know because we have a fancy telescope that sees pretty faraway colors. If fish could build periscopes they still wouldn´t know much about us.

And every single day that we humans collectively learn something new, the people that lived before us appear to have been more and more dumb. People from 1,000 years ago were simple minded, and those from 10,000 years ago even moreso. If you want to find out how little you know, take a time machine 300 years into the future.

A caveman would´ve been laughed at if he described his idea to build a computing machine, but here we are 10,000 years later and it sure as hell is possible. The laughing cavemen just had a closed mind and couldn´t believe that something far beyond their wildest dreams had the capability of existing.

Assuming that God doesn´t exist is just having a closed mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >