Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291590 - 20/12/2006 04:23 Remote code for reboot?
Snowshoe
new poster

Loc: Midwest
I searched for this but after searching many posts can't seem to find something on this. Is there a way to reboot the player w/a remote? Reason I ask is I use a Harmony remote for everything I own and have the Empeg in it but would like the ability to reboot it if possible using said remote. It learns codes but I assume I'll have to use some sort of ir_translate of an existing button function. I know from searching boards that Hijack is used and understand all that but haven't found a translate in FAQ's for reboot. Thanks

Edited by Snowshoe (20/12/2006 04:27)

#291591 - 20/12/2006 15:33 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: Snowshoe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is a config.ini entry that will allow you to exit the player software from the main menu. It adds the command "Exit" somewhere on the main menu. I don't remember exactly where the command appears on the main menu, and I don't remember exactly what the config.ini entry was to make it happen, but I know it can be done. Because the various entries on the player's main menu can be direct-accessed by pressing the number keys on the remote, you could easily come up with a sequence of IR-programmable keystrokes that will reliably exit the player software from the main menu.

Why this is useful at all: If you've got a standard (not hacked) "init" on your hard disk, exiting the player software will restart the player software. This is very similar to a reboot.

I don't know exactly why you want to reboot using the remote control, though. So I'm not sure if restarting the player software is what you're after.

Can you give us more details about what problem you're trying to solve by rebooting via IR? Maybe there's a less complicated solution that doesn't involve a reboot at all.

#291592 - 21/12/2006 04:42 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: tfabris]
Snowshoe
new poster

Quote:
There is a config.ini entry that will allow you to exit the player software from the main menu. It adds the command "Exit" somewhere on the main menu. I don't remember exactly where the command appears on the main menu, and I don't remember exactly what the config.ini entry was to make it happen, but I know it can be done.

I remember this from years ago also. I'm not sure if that would work for what I need. What I'm thinking of using it for is I have the player ethernet hooked up to a wireless gaming adapter to access my network. Trouble is the player isn't always recognized when plugged in (AC). Sometimes a reboot does the trick. I have a Harmony remote I control it with, as an activity, stereo/player come on together, and would like to some way get a reboot (nevermind I just thought of how I could do it). Just get Hijack menu to popup and select reboot right?

Anybody been able to get a wireless gaming adapter to reliably connect via etherent everytime is there a trick? Sometimes a power toggle of the gaming adapter gets the network to see the player so I don't have to walk back to the player & do a reboot. I know this all sounds crazy but mainly I need a way to do this w/o using Charcoalgray99 web interface or empFace to reboot the player. I thought maybe there was a IR command to reboot the player. I thought maybe my best chance was for 'button redifinition' would work but I don't see in the FAQ where Hijack can be accessed using it so I could in turn choose 'reboot' as an option.

Edited by Snowshoe (21/12/2006 04:57)

#291593 - 21/12/2006 15:26 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: Snowshoe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Just get Hijack menu to popup and select reboot right?

The problem with doing that from the remote is that the currently-selected menu item in Hijack is always the last one you selected. I don't think it has absolute-navigation like the player software's menu does (someone correct me if I'm wrong). In other words, it may be different every time and you wouldn't know how many left-left-left-left buttonpresses you'd have to make to get to the correct menu. So you couldn't program it into a single-button macro, you'd have to look at the player's screen and select the correct menu item to do it. (I was under the impression that you wanted to write a single-button macro.)

Quote:
I'm not sure if that would work for what I need.

Give the exit menu thing a try and see if it works. I don't know if re-launching the player software will retrigger the ethernet DHCP request or not. It might. It's worth a try.

Quote:
Anybody been able to get a wireless gaming adapter to reliably connect via etherent everytime is there a trick?

Buy a proper wireless router instead?

Of course, I'm one to talk, I purchased a stripped-down gaming router for the sole purpose of solving a network problem once, and actually bought three different routers until I settled on the right one (returning the other two to Staples).

#291594 - 21/12/2006 15:38 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, another option might be to assign the player a fixed IP address that falls within the range of DHCP addresses that the gaming adapter uses. Then it might work every time without a reboot.

#291595 - 21/12/2006 16:41 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: Snowshoe]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well, the usual way to solve flaky network connections with the empeg is to get a 10bT only hub and put that in between. Mark spent some time debugging the dhcp aspect of the player, you could dig up those threads if you'd like, or just make sure you've installed hijack as any fixes would be in there.

Matthew

#291596 - 21/12/2006 20:48 Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: Snowshoe]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Hijack v465 will be released shortly.

This version adds a "Reboot" buttoncode, which can be remapped to an arbitrary IR code as desired.

Also new in this version: The existing "QuickTimer" buttoncode is now selectable from the default PopUp0 menu, enabling use of it without a remote control.

Cheers

#291597 - 21/12/2006 21:29 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

#291598 - 22/12/2006 19:08 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: tfabris]
Snowshoe
new poster

The player does have a fixed address set that the adapter picks up. I sometimes use the same adapter to connect (manually) to another device then plug it back in to the player. Could this be causing problems?

#291599 - 22/12/2006 19:11 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: tfabris]
Snowshoe
new poster

Quote:
There is a config.ini entry that will allow you to exit the player software from the main menu. It adds the command "Exit" somewhere on the main menu.

Is the 'quit' option the same as 'exit' your talking about? I can't seem to find 'Exit option' mentioned anywhere now.

#291600 - 22/12/2006 19:13 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: matthew_k]
Snowshoe
new poster

Quote:
make sure you've installed hijack as any fixes would be in there.

I do have at the moment v464 of Hijack installed. I think I'll try the new v465 now and give it a day.

#291601 - 22/12/2006 19:14 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: mlord]
Snowshoe
new poster

Wow excellant thanks I'll be trying it out tonight.

#291602 - 22/12/2006 20:51 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: mlord]
Snowshoe
new poster

What is the button code do I use? I see from the FAQ how to implement them. I don't know if v465 had anything to do w/this but I did find out I could access the Hijack menu, via a long menu press, by my Harmony remote, then scroll through the menu & hit button '2'. I had never thought of doing that before. Scrolling is alittle hit and miss, sometimes jumps 2 at a time.

I'd still like the button code if that's how it works, maybe I'm wrong on how to implement the 'reboot' function.
Thanks.

Edited by Snowshoe (22/12/2006 21:12)

#291603 - 22/12/2006 21:38 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: Snowshoe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Is the 'quit' option the same as 'exit' your talking about?

I believe so, yes. If it's right from the player's main menu.

#291604 - 23/12/2006 00:34 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: Snowshoe]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What is the button code do I use?

Anything you want to use. Invent one, then use Hijack's "Button Codes Display" feature to see what the received code is at the empeg end (8-digit hex value), and then use Hijack's ir_translate functionality to assign "Reboot" to that code in config.ini, like this:

[ir_translate]
80DEAD00=Reboot

Others here can help you further with it.

-ml

#291605 - 23/12/2006 02:43 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: mlord]
Snowshoe
new poster

Understood now.

#291606 - 23/12/2006 02:46 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: tfabris]
Snowshoe
new poster

Once you invoke 'quit' function is a power pull the only way to get the player back?

#291607 - 23/12/2006 05:37 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: mlord]
Snowshoe
new poster

For some reason the display frezzes & player becomes unresponsive to buttons or remote commands when 'Reboot' translate is received. Mk2 dev v2.0/Hijack v465 The player returns to normal when a plug pull reboot is done.

#291608 - 23/12/2006 08:29 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
There is a config.ini entry that will allow you to exit the player software from the main menu. It adds the command "Exit" somewhere on the main menu ...., exiting the player software will restart the player software. This is very similar to a reboot.

Except that it's labelled "Quit", rather than "Exit". Also, if you've got the developer version on there, it'll quit to the bash prompt, and that'll leave the player wedged. It only restarts the player on the consumer version.

I know that you mentioned having a "standard" init binary, but the developer and consumer inits are the same. It's the presence of the bash binary that changes the behaviour.

#291609 - 23/12/2006 12:37 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: Snowshoe]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
For some reason the display frezzes & player becomes unresponsive to buttons or remote commands when 'Reboot' translate is received. Mk2 dev v2.0/Hijack v465 The player returns to normal when a plug pull reboot is done.

Ahhh.. yes, the reboot functionality in Hijack does not always work -- some strange interaction with interrupts or the bootstrap firmware I suspect. Reflashing the kernel (Hijack) sometimes "cures" it.

Cheers

#291610 - 23/12/2006 12:38 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: Snowshoe]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Once you invoke 'quit' function is a power pull the only way to get the player back?

Yes. I think the hardware also has a real-time "alarm clock" feature (similar to most PCs) that could, in theory, also be used to "get the player back". Not used anywhere.

Cheers

#291611 - 24/12/2006 17:49 Re: Remote code for reboot? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Roger. I'd forgotten how that whole thing worked. The reason I thought of the init was because I used to have a modified init that would run a different program when I hit the "quit" menu.

So, to sum up for the original poster: the quit menu trick only works to restart the player software if you've got the consumer version of the software installed. (Sorry about that.)

#291612 - 24/12/2006 18:54 Re: Hijack v465: add fake (remappable) button code for "Reboot" [Re: mlord]
Snowshoe
new poster

Quote:
Reflashing the kernel (Hijack) sometimes "cures" it.

Looks like I have a player that doesn't 'cure'. Does it have anything to do w/TTS clock or emphatic? Would running consumer ver. work better? Since I use it mainly in home now I could get rid of the extras. I would go ahead and do this but don't want to do this (luck that I got those installed as it was, not Linux compatible) if it's not the cause.
Thanks, Merry Xms.

Edited by Snowshoe (24/12/2006 19:02)