Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#297160 - 17/04/2007 12:59 Nokia N95
tman
carpal tunnel

Just got the Nokia N95 and its pretty nice. It has pretty much every feature available at the moment that I can think of. WiFi, Bluetooth, 5MP camera, HSDPA and an internal GPS. The GPS mapping software is included and the maps are also free. You only get basic route planning however. If you want spoken instructions or turn by turn directions then you need pay a subscription fee to Nokia.

I've got a few gripes about it however:

1. It has a odd 2 direction slider face which means you push it up to get the normal keypad but push it down to get a 4 button media control keypad. I get the feeling that this is very easily broken and I'll have to see how well that holds up to the harsh environment of my pocket.

2. The phone makes an odd high pitched whining noise when I'm on a call. It isn't the backlight either as it doesn't go away when the backlight turns off. I'll have to visit a Orange shop sometime and see if their ones have the same problem.

3. It only has about 20MB worth of free memory which isn't actually that much. Most of the apps that come with the phone are very resource hungry and you get the memory full errors a lot.

4. This final complaint is more about my service provider (and Vodafone) Orange have modified the firmware and removed the stock SIP support. O2 and T-Mobile haven't changed this from what I hear. It is just Orange and Vodafone.

I got the N95 as an upgrade from Orange after I had called them to get my PAC number transfer code. They called me back a couple of days later saying how since I've been with them for years etc.. that they are able to offer me the phone for free and a big discount on my monthly contract. The usual rubbish basically to get me to stay.

#297161 - 17/04/2007 14:09 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: tman]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Nice one.

I played with the N95 at the weekend. I'm more than likely going to get one when my contract ends in 6 months - it just seems so useful. I really hope they come out with a new design by then with similar hardware but no moving parts (sliding bits) like the N93.

Quote:
This final complaint is more about my service provider (and Vodafone) Orange have modified the firmware and removed the stock SIP support. O2 and T-Mobile haven't changed this from what I hear. It is just Orange and Vodafone.

My Orange Nokia E61 had the dreaded 'Orange Homescreen' rubbish software on it. After having a look here and here I changed the product code of my phone from "Orange UK" to "Generic UK". The Nokia Software Update tool then found new firmware, downloaded and flashed it to the phone and voila, an uncrippled handset.

I'm pretty sure the same kind of trick will work for you and your N95 to get SIP functionality back, but I would probably wait for someone else to try it first

#297162 - 17/04/2007 14:48 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: tman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I got the N95 as an upgrade from Orange after I had called them to get my PAC number transfer code. They called me back a couple of days later saying how since I've been with them for years etc.. that they are able to offer me the phone for free and a big discount on my monthly contract. The usual rubbish basically to get me to stay.

Just out of interest, how much are you paying a month with Orange? I'm paying between £35-40 a month and I'm thinking of trying it on with them to get an N95. According to the website it's going to cost £199 on my current contract, which for me, is way too much, especially since my SPV M600 cost £49.

Andy M

#297163 - 17/04/2007 18:40 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Just out of interest, how much are you paying a month with Orange? I'm paying between £35-40 a month and I'm thinking of trying it on with them to get an N95. According to the website it's going to cost £199 on my current contract, which for me, is way too much, especially since my SPV M600 cost £49.

£15 for the first 9 months. £20 for the next 3 months. £25 for the last 6 months. It is a 18 month contract. It isn't a particularly awesome deal in that aspect but I just don't want the hassle of transferring my number and whatnot That said, they've screwed up the activation of my new USIM and I can't use the new phone yet. They said it'd be active between 2:30 and 4:30. Called them up at 5:00 and got some random bloke that said oh no no... it will be 24 hours!

Yeah. The upgrade prices are stupid. That is why I was going to transfer to Vodafone or T-Mobile.

#297164 - 17/04/2007 18:48 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I played with the N95 at the weekend. I'm more than likely going to get one when my contract ends in 6 months - it just seems so useful.

Yeah. From the bits I could access using my old GSM only SIM, it does seem pretty nice.

Quote:
I really hope they come out with a new design by then with similar hardware but no moving parts (sliding bits) like the N93.

I'm not a big fan of the complicated slider/flip mechanisms either. I know that I'll break it somehow.

Quote:
My Orange Nokia E61 had the dreaded 'Orange Homescreen' rubbish software on it.

The parts Orange has changed appears to be the obvious Orange branding, the SIP telephony app is gone even though the settings app is still there and that you don't have the option of having animated icons.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the same kind of trick will work for you and your N95 to get SIP functionality back, but I would probably wait for someone else to try it first

Somebody has said they did this and it worked. I'll wait for a few more confirmation however

#297165 - 17/04/2007 19:00 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: tman]
tman
carpal tunnel

Okay. The new USIM has finally been activated. Took long enough...

#297166 - 17/04/2007 19:48 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: tman]
sein
old hand

Quote:
it does seem pretty nice.

Suppose for example I had an N95 and a friend had one too, and we were going to meet for coffee somewhere. Could I easily sit at an outside table of the coffee shop and SMS him my position? He can then in a click or two view that on a map and work a route from where he is standing?

My E61 has some Nokia GPS Software on it (Position, Trip, Navigator, Landmarks, Sports Tracker, Tomtom etc) which I use with my Bluetooth GPS. But the only way I can find of sending my position is by saving it as a Landmark first and then sending that as an MMS message. This is overcomplicated (SMS should be enough), fiddly, and uncool. Is it better on the N95? It should work as well as sending and receiving contacts and calendar entries by SMS (i.e. seamless).

EDIT: To be clear, does it have entries in the Msg. application like "Insert > Position > Current | Landmark" or in the Position application "Send > Text Message". Does it automatically recognise co-ordinates in a text message or email as well, and offer to show it on the map and then plan a route there - the same way it recognises phone numbers and email addresses in messages?

Edited by sein (18/04/2007 04:33)

#297167 - 18/04/2007 04:21 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: sein]
sein
old hand

Oh also, will it geotag photos that you take?

#297168 - 18/04/2007 07:43 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
it does seem pretty nice.

Suppose for example I had an N95 and a friend had one too, and we were going to meet for coffee somewhere. Could I easily sit at an outside table of the coffee shop and SMS him my position? He can then in a click or two view that on a map and work a route from where he is standing?

Yeah. You can but not as a SMS message. You have to use email or MMS. The send location option as SMS only gives you the address as text. The other two options will send an attached map coordinate object which you can open.

It is all inside the Maps application. Press the option button to bring up the menu and then Selected position -> Send location and finally choose the method you want. SMS, MMS, email, Bluetooth or IrDA.

#297169 - 18/04/2007 07:48 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Oh also, will it geotag photos that you take?

It doesn't appear to. You'll probably be able to get 3rd party apps that do this tho. The internal GPS API has been released by Nokia.

The photo quality is good. The default settings for the camera has a very strong edge sharpening filter applied to it which you should turn off tho. Could do with an optical zoom but not really got the space for that

#297170 - 18/04/2007 15:17 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: tman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I can't believe it, I rang Orange to get a price for upgrade, it came out at £249!

I've never threatened to leave Orange before so I was a little reluctant to try and after being berated by a very angry sounding upgrade woman I thought I wasn't to get anywhere, but after 2 minutes of holding I was put through to 'Customer Relations' where a nice lady said she'd do the handset for free plus knock £10 off my monthly bill and throw in unlimited off-peak data for 6 months if I stayed.

I'm somewhat surprised by the outcome, I'm not a 'power user' by any means, I don't think I've had a monthly bill of more than £60 ever, apart from when I was in the states and racked up a bill of £150 in a week! But I have been a customer for 10 years which must've counted for something.

It arrives tomorrow, I wonder what the going rate is for an SPV M600 on ebay?

Andy M

#297171 - 18/04/2007 15:31 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Let me get this straight. Their initial offer was going to cost you £249, but they backed down to reducing your existing bill by £10?

I don't know whether I would have been irritated that they would try to gouge me so much to begin with, or that they cared enough about my business to pay me to take an upgrade. I guess they cancel out.

#297172 - 18/04/2007 16:11 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
All fairly normal for the UK mobile phone market.

#297173 - 18/04/2007 16:13 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: andym]
sein
old hand

Quote:
a nice lady said she'd do the handset for free plus knock £10 off my monthly bill and throw in unlimited off-peak data for 6 months if I stayed.

Oh how I wish I didn't have 7 months remaining on my contract

#297174 - 18/04/2007 16:34 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I can't believe it, I rang Orange to get a price for upgrade, it came out at £249!

Yeah. They quoted me something around £200 as well.

Quote:
I've never threatened to leave Orange before so I was a little reluctant to try and after being berated by a very angry sounding upgrade woman I thought I wasn't to get anywhere, but after 2 minutes of holding I was put through to 'Customer Relations' where a nice lady said she'd do the handset for free plus knock £10 off my monthly bill and throw in unlimited off-peak data for 6 months if I stayed.

The Customer Retention staff are the nicest I've found for obvious reasons

Quote:
I'm somewhat surprised by the outcome, I'm not a 'power user' by any means, I don't think I've had a monthly bill of more than £60 ever, apart from when I was in the states and racked up a bill of £150 in a week! But I have been a customer for 10 years which must've counted for something.

The woman that got me to stay told me that if you're an Orange user for more than 3 years then they get a several hundred pound budget to make you stay.

#297175 - 18/04/2007 16:56 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: tman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
if you're an Orange user for more than 3 years then they get a several hundred pound budget to make you stay.

Not gonna help in my case -- unless they dramatically improve Orange network reception in the building where I work, and in work's local.

I'm just waiting for Jen's contract to expire in a couple of weeks, and then we'll go shopping for another provider, and we'll see if we can find a tariff where they'll let us put two phones on the same account, with shared minutes, etc..

#297176 - 07/07/2007 09:41 Re: Nokia N95 [Re: Roger]
tman
carpal tunnel

New firmware has been released. Main thing seems to be it can do AGPS as well and various bugfixes. Install the Nokia Software Updater app and it should download it if you've got the correct product code.

Version 12.0.0.013
19-06-07
RM-159

Official Nokia changelog
Not yet known

Known fixes
Not yet known

Changes
A-GPS (assisted GPS) now implemented

Known problems
Maps is not yet updated

New problems (regressions)
Not yet known

This firmware is available from Nokia at http://www.europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate