Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#308248 - 15/03/2008 12:03 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: woops]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: woops
Mark,

Is it possible to go ahead and wire it to the reset signal?

I have not tried this here, but it should work just fine on the the same DSP reset pin that I used for the cs4231a fix (see photo in that thread).

You'll still need to do the pin-lift and reprogram the chip first, though.

Cheers

#308252 - 15/03/2008 15:07 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: mlord]
woops
journeyman

Mark,

So I am looking to solder the Temperature Sensor #8 pin to the Lower Right Blue Wire solder location of the attached picture you took. Is this correct?

Do I leave the #8 leg of the temperature sensor unsoldered and just wire it to the DSP location?

I assume I can follow the same soldering instructions as you gave for the Temperature Sensor fix? ie: 650 degree iron temp.

Thanks

#308259 - 15/03/2008 17:33 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: woops]
mlord
carpal tunnel

So I am looking to solder the Temperature Sensor #8 pin to the Lower Right Blue Wire solder location of the attached picture you took. Is this correct?

This other photo shows the correct wire better:

Quote:
Do I leave the #8 leg of the temperature sensor unsoldered and just wire it to the DSP location?

Yes, that's the idea, anyway. Untested as of yet! smile

Quote:
I assume I can follow the same soldering instructions as you gave for the Temperature Sensor fix? ie: 650 degree iron temp.

Yes, maybe even lower -- try 600 degree max, and don't hang around on the pin for more than a few seconds at a time. Breaking the DSP is more serious than the temperature sensor!

#308260 - 15/03/2008 17:37 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Actually, try poking around with an ohm-meter, and see if you can find the same DSP-RESET value on a nearby capacitor -- much less risky to try attaching it somewhere like that, and there probably *is* a cap on that line somewhere not far away.

Cheers

#308265 - 15/03/2008 19:00 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: mlord]
woops
journeyman

Mark,

I wouldn't know how to do that. I've got an Ohm-meter though.

#308269 - 16/03/2008 01:09 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: woops]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mark,

I wouldn't know how to do that. I've got an Ohm-meter though.

Ah well, you might as well learn how then!

1. Unplug the empeg from everything.

2. Set the ohmeter to its lowest ohm value scale (mine has 200ohms as the lowest).

3. Study the board (or the photo above), looking for small yellowish things with two metal end contacts, within an inch or so of the corner of the DSP where the RESET pin is located.

4. Place one probe from the meter firmly onto the metal end of one of the capacitors you identified, and touch the other end to the dsp RESET pin, and see if the ohmmeter reads "0" when you do so.

If yes, then you've found an alternate site to attach your jumper from thermo pin-8 onto. Otherwise, try the other end of that same capacitor. And then another capacitor, and so on.

Takes about a minute to do them all -- there's only four or five nearby, I think.

Cheers

#308299 - 16/03/2008 18:24 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: mlord]
woops
journeyman

Mark,

I couldn't find any nearby yellow capacitor ends that had an open to the dsp reset pin.

Also, and i may have done something wrong, but soldering to the dsp reset pin and #8 leg of the temperature sensor gave the i2c error unable to get data and would not play music. Understand that i had previously reset the temperature sensor to work again as you have previously outlined and lifted leg #8 to only tie in with the dsp reset pin

Anyway, I set everything back and it all works - music and temperature - but it has been an arduous journey.

CAUTION: Be VERY careful of how the leg #8 is bent up and how it is twisted, it is not robust at all. You really need to know what you are doing. I broke mine off and had to build up a "solder wall" to reach from the pad to the nub that was left. Very tedious and hard to do. Thankfully, i have a temperature regulated soldering iron i got from radio shack that works really well (used 600 degrees as recommended by Mark).

Edited by woops (16/03/2008 18:25)

#308301 - 16/03/2008 20:11 Re: Fixing your own temperature sensor [Re: woops]
mlord
carpal tunnel

.. soldering to the dsp reset pin and #8 leg of the temperature sensor gave the i2c error unable to get data and would not play music. Understand that i had previously reset the temperature sensor to work again as you have previously outlined and lifted leg #8 to only tie in with the dsp reset pin

Ah well, so much for that idea.

Clever use of building up the solder stack -- small thin wire can also be used in situations like that.

One time, I had to use an Xacto knife to dig away a little plastic from the shell of a chip, to expose some metal of a broken-off pin so that I could attach a small wire to it.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2