Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#308456 - 22/03/2008 13:56 has my Tivo gone mad? excessive DHCP renewals
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I took a random glance at my router's logs and noticed a whole lot of lease renewals from my Tivo. How many? How about 7829 DHCP renewals over the past 11 hours.

I found one thread on the TivoCommunity forum, but it's not terribly helpful in diagnosing the problem. They suggest that it might be a problem with sproradic network connectivity. I've got my Tivo hooked in via traditional, wired Ethernet. The Tivo is plugged into a four-port switch that it shares with my AppleTV, and I'm not seeing crazy renewal rates from the AppleTV (only six DHCP renewals over the same time period, which is still higher than it probably should be, but is still reasonable). I even have a static DHCP reservation, so the Tivo always gets the exact same IP address.

Any thoughts on possible causes or likely solutions? Or, should I just file this under the "yeah, whatever" category and go on with life?

#308458 - 22/03/2008 15:34 Re: has my Tivo gone mad? excessive DHCP renewals [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think the first thing I would do is check speed/duplex on all the ports from the tivo to the router, inclusive. If you're unable to check them, try (temporarily) swapping connections to different switches.

You might also check for errors on those ports, if possible.

#308472 - 23/03/2008 02:55 Re: has my Tivo gone mad? excessive DHCP renewals [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
That's a renewal every 5 seconds. A lot.

How long is your lease? 6 over 11 hours for the Apple TV is not unreasonable for a 6 hour lease. For some reason I've never bothered to work out, I see renewals always less than the lease time.

What do the actual logs say? Is it something like the Tivo is requesting an address and the router is trying to deny it possibly?
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#308473 - 23/03/2008 07:12 Re: has my Tivo gone mad? excessive DHCP renewals [Re: Shonky]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Shonky
For some reason I've never bothered to work out, I see renewals always less than the lease time.

This is expected. DHCP clients generally renew the lease before the expiry time is due. A bit of quick googling suggests that the renewal time is often 50% of the lease time.

#308475 - 23/03/2008 10:51 Re: has my Tivo gone mad? excessive DHCP renewals [Re: Roger]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: Shonky
For some reason I've never bothered to work out, I see renewals always less than the lease time.

This is expected. DHCP clients generally renew the lease before the expiry time is due. A bit of quick googling suggests that the renewal time is often 50% of the lease time.

Yeah thinking about it, it could be intentionally randomised to spread the load on the server. I have no issue with it - just something I noticed.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#308479 - 23/03/2008 14:31 Re: has my Tivo gone mad? excessive DHCP renewals [Re: Shonky]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I don't see any easy way of knowing what the expiration time is, but I'll note that my wife's laptop (running Windows XP Home) is renewing its lease approximately 200 times per day. That does make it sound like the leases are too short, yet I have the GUI set to a 240 minute timeout. I'm not sure what else I can tweak beyond that...

Meanwhile, I "solved" the Tivo problem by giving it a static IP address. It sure would be nice to know what's actually going on.