Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#335572 - 29/07/2010 00:57 Podcasts you love
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Seeing Dignan and Drakino mention podcasts in the Android thread makes me realize I'm not alone in loving podcasts. In fact, they are the death of my empeg, which I only use in Aux mode to pipe me glorified talk shows into my car. Podcasts seriously have taken over my life.

Which podcasts do you love?

My favorites:
This Week In Tech - insightful and funny divergent discussions on technology with tech luminaries.

This Week In Google - great insights into the future of media, the social internet, and more.

Security Now - MUST LISTEN! a graduate level course on computer security, encryption, and lately, the fundamentals of processor architecture.

This Week in Computer Hardware - an overview of video cards, SSDs and processors.

This Week in Startups - not a TWiT network show. an unapologetic and informative trek through web entrepreneurship.

My standbys, which I rarely have time to listen to:
Car Talk - hysterical car repair show. set your podcatcher to download and save these, since they only make two episodes at a time.

Wall Street Journal What's News - today's headlines read so fast you can't comprehend them.

MarketWatch Morning Stock Talk - morning insights into the stock market.

Buzz Out Loud - CNet's funny daily tech roundup.

Tech News Today - TWiT's daily tech roundup.

RunAs Radio - quality interviews with major Windows and IT pros.

Quick and Dirty Tips Network:
Money Girl - personal finance tips
The Winning Investor - investing concepts defined
Grammar Girl
Get It Done Guy
Modern Manners Guy

Because vocabulary is directly related to success in the workplace:
The WordSmart WordCast
Just Vocabulary

The Disciplined Investor - somewhat biased rants on advanced investments. the original podcast of QDT's Winning Investor.

Mixergy - interviews with entrepreneurs.

Digital Photography Tips from the Top Floor - you know, I've never really listened to this, but I've been downloading it for a year.

#335576 - 29/07/2010 01:35 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Great thread! I know what you mean when you say it's taken over. I'm saddened by how much less music I listen to (though I still listen to a lot on my Zune). It's funny, because I never listened to talk radio, but now I listen to podcasts constantly. There's something to be said for niche programming.

I think we went through these a while ago, but let me post my current list. I'm going to post two lists, one for audio and one for video, because I consume them very differently. Audio is for in my car and doing housework. Video is for when I'm doing light stuff on the computer or for viewing on my home theater. Anyway, here I go (BTW, many will be doubles of yours):

This Week in Tech - agreed

This Week in Google - agreed again, and Gina Trapani is one of my favorite people in the tech world. She's awesome.

Tech News Today - agreed again, though Becky occasionally goes to broad for me. she's used to appealing to the average consumer on Good Morning America, and doesn't realize that everyone listening knows what they're talking about already and at least knows the tech behind it. And Sarah Lane gets on my nerves sometimes...

Buzz Out Loud - If Molly had left with Tom, I wouldn't listen to this show anymore. But she's there, so I stay smile

Daily Giz Wiz - I only check out specific episodes if they talk about a gadget that sounds fun or interesting - it's silly

net@night - often very interesting interviews with web personalities and technologists

Engadget - analysis of the week's gadget stories, often irreverent and a little silly, but I like the guys involved

NSFW - funny show, a weekly "game" played with rotating guests. Fun.

Film Sack - each week they discuss a different (usually cheesy) movie, almost always found on Netflix Streaming. very amusing

Security Now - I've only listened to one episode because I wanted to hear Steve Gibson's opinion on LastPass. he's incredibly knowledgeable

VIDEO:

Bytejacker - indie and flash games - just started this one, hopefully I'll get plenty of ideas for the Time Wasters thread smile

Diggnation - still fun, even if their hearts don't seem in it anymore after five years. they're winding it down soon, too

Film Riot - hilarious show that also teaches you low budget film making

Food Mob - cooking show. some good recipes

Hak5 - hacking show, most of which goes way over my head

Kevin Pollak's Chat Show - imagine Inside the Actor's Studio but without all the BS and dumb questions. occasionally fascinating insights into the Hollywood business.

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts - in-studio concerts from a wide range of acts (from Phoenix to Weird Al). I don't like every band, but I download the ones I do like.

Penn Point - and I thought Penn was opinionated on Bull$hit! yikes! occasionally hard to take, but I watch it now and then.

Tekzilla - a little like the old Screen Savers. Plus, Veronica Belmont is adorable.

The Engadget Show - impressive live show, frequently with interesting, big-name guests. they've had Balmer and Rubinstein on stage with them.

The Totally Rad Show - one of my favorites, it's just three guys getting together to talk about movies, video games, and sometimes comics and TV. lots of fun, if you can stand Dan.

#335596 - 29/07/2010 04:05 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Most of the ones I listen to have been mentioned already.

Little Atoms - an unashamedly smart podcast about just about everything discussed from a scientific/sceptical point of view

And of course large chunks of BBC Radio 4 is available in podcast form, though I'm not sure whether they are available to you colonials ?

I also listen to a bunch of coding podcasts on and off. Including Hanselminutes, .NET Rocks and sadly not Stackoverflow anymore frown

#335616 - 29/07/2010 13:02 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: andy]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I only have two that I listen to that haven't been mentioned yet.

Galactic Watercooler - It was originally Galactica Watercooler, but since BSG ended they've moved to discussing anything sci-fi, fantasy, and comic related. Each week they'll watch a movie, and then talk about it. Their tastes are pretty close to mine, and it's been a good way to find new stuff.

Home Theater Geeks - The first 10 or so episodes were really good, and really got me thinking in regards to my own home theater. The discussions haven't grabbed me lately like the first ones, so it's now on the bottom of my rotation.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#335617 - 29/07/2010 13:06 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: FireFox31]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Car Talk - hysterical car repair show. set your podcatcher to download and save these, since they only make two episodes at a time.

In case anybody cares or is interested, I have every car talk episode from February, 2002 through July, 2010. If there is a particular episode you want, I can email it to you (~25 MB).

tanstaafl.

#335801 - 04/08/2010 23:07 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I'm glad to see so many TWiT fans. I never considered that the TWiT network may also reach members of other online communities that I'm in, like this one.

Security Now is totally worth the listen. If you're tight on time, skip the "Question and Answer" and "Listener Feedback" episodes (every other episode). The main topical episodes are worth downloading and saving forever, like an audio text book. I learned more in his recent "Fundamentals of Computing" episodes than in my entire college computer science CPU architecture class.

#335803 - 05/08/2010 00:55 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Agreed, that show is extremely informative. I've been using Lastpass for a while now, and the show he did on it was fascinating and ended up being quite comforting.

#335807 - 05/08/2010 03:01 Re: Podcasts you love [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Podcasts I listen to regularly: (some of these already have been covered)

This Week in Tech - been a listener since Episode 0, and have only skipped a few. For me, this is what got me interested in podcasting, as it was a few ex TechTV people who got the ball rolling here. Caused me to buy an iPod Nano to have easy podcast listening in the car and on the go.

MacBreak Weekly - Been listening pretty much since day one as well. Guests have changed over time, but Andy Ihnatko has been one of the more amusing guests. He's pretty much been a regular now for probably 2 years.

The Instance - A World of Warcraft podcast done by Scott Johnson and Randy Jordan. Scott later made this the founding podcast of his own network Frogpants Studios. Some amusing podcasts on the network covering a variety of subjects.

Today in the Past - A daily podcast done by John Hodgman (Hello, I'm a PC, or from the Daily Show). Very amusing

Blizzcast - Blizzard Entertainment's official podcast. I don't think they quite understand podcasts though, as they have only done 14 over the past 2 years or so.

Podcasts I listen to from time to time, but don't make an effort to catch every show:

Car Talk - Already well covered what this one is

Current Geek - Scott Johnson and Tom Merritt (Formally from cnet, now at TWiT). 3 short (10 minute) shows a week, then one longer weekly episode done on the TWiT network. Covers the geeky stuff outside tech, from interesting science news to ComicCon like subjects.

I've listened to a number of others like Security Now, East meets West, Engadget, and AppSlappy, but they have tended to fall off my radar. Windows Weekly would probably be one I'd listen to, except it has one of the worst Microsoft apologists on it, Paul Thurrott. The people on Macbreak Weekly are at least reasonable enough to hold Apple accountable when they make mistakes, but I think Paul believes Microsoft can do no wrong. Or he doesn't want to harm his inside connections.

Also listened to one This Week in Google when I had the Samsung Captivate, but I don't think it's one that will stick for me. I'm just not that interested in keeping up with Android after my experience, and I don't use other Google services outside search to really care what the company is doing. I do like the hosts though, and follow Jeff Jarvis on Twitter.