Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#37470 - 29/08/2001 11:12 V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
This may be the makings of a wish list item... I've read about new clock visuals in version 2.0. Is one of these a plain HH:MM:SS 12-hour clock format? I'm looking at the easiest possible combination of clock + stopwatch funtions to have in the car for local TSD rallies, and the best possible clock solution I can think of is to have an HH:MM:SS clock taking up the entire Empeg display. These events usually take place in evening, so visibility should not be a problem, esp if the clock uses simple "brightest" block numbers (no fancy shadows or anything).

This clock needs to be synchronized. I fetched a program from the BBS that grabs time from a serially-attached GPS and am going to try that out. So long as we only use it for clock function (not that knowing our lat/lon would help, but knowing GPS-provided speed over ground could be considered cheating), I don't think we'll be violating Novice or SOP (seat of pants) class rules. I've also downloaded debian arm NTP binaries. My idea is as follows: If Empeg boots up at home, have init load ntpdate and get time from my local NTP server (Linux file server with a GPS), if it boots up in car have it get time from GPS antenna in car (at least initially...I haven't looked a cron/scheduling facilties in Empeg).

Hey, next TSD is on 14 September, so if you want to release V2 just in time for that, that'd be swell!

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#37471 - 29/08/2001 11:18 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In the 1.1 alpha that was demo'd at the Woodside meet, there was a single big static clock visual that showed the time, filling the entire display.

It was in 24-hour format, though. I think I've managed to pester Toby into writing a 12-hour version, so that should be available by 2.0 release.

Don't know if it had seconds on it. I don't think it did. I think it was just HH:MM. Toby? How about a seconds option for the rally driver?

This gets me thinking, though. Wouldn't the Empeg be a GREAT platform for a TSD-rally computer? A small serial interface to get speedometer info, some software, and you're rocking. Hasn't this idea been discussed before?

#37472 - 29/08/2001 11:53 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I wanted to do something like that with a D/A card. Any word on how that plugin card is coming along (from a long time ago)?

#37473 - 29/08/2001 19:41 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: jimhogan]
vwEMPEG
new poster

as a TSD rallier I would suggest:

1 - time format to be in HH:MM.MM (division and addition of time is much eaiser when working with decimal minutes)

2- while GPS time or NTP time is accurate, it is not rallye time. you'll want to make an easy quick interface to modify the time. the rally master will display their clock for everyone to sync with.

3 - BIG numbers on the display..

when 2.0 hits the net with the talked about visual API it may be alot eaiser to put all this together.. you could also turn this out rather quickly with perl.

Richard Burns Kicks A$$!

#37474 - 30/08/2001 00:53 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: vwEMPEG]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
v2.0 doesn't have the "much-talked about" visuals API.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#37475 - 30/08/2001 08:41 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: tfabris]
philb
stranger

Re: the rally computer

I'm currently working on something very similar. It will interface to the car using the OBD-II socket, which most modern vehicles should have.

I have the interface and myself and a colleague have tested it with a laptop in the car and we can pull most of the engine stats back.

I am developing some software for the empeg to do the displays, I have got as far as writing some functions to write text, draw bar graphs etc.

It should be possible to do some of the following:
* Speed / RPM senisitve volume control
* Engine temps, boost pressure, load...
* Play chillout music if your average speed/RPM is too high!
* 0-60 times
* Calculate best time to change gear based on historical data and beep

And silly ideas like convert your engine sound into a TVR (if your sub is big enough!)

Phil.

#37476 - 30/08/2001 08:56 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: philb]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Wow, cool.

I want this too.

TommyE

#37477 - 30/08/2001 08:58 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: vwEMPEG]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
vwEMPEG writes: "as a TSD rallier I would suggest: 1 - time format to be in HH:MM.MM (division and addition of time is much eaiser when working with decimal minutes) 2- while GPS time or NTP time is accurate, it is not rallye time. you'll want to make an easy quick interface to modify the time. the rally master will display their clock for everyone to sync with. 3 - BIG numbers on the display.."

For the moment, I just want a better clock for more accurate "out times", so plain old seconds would be easiest. If I get something much more sophisticated, it may inadverdently launch me into Unlimited Class (The horror!). For the Friday evening TSDs I've done, the rallymaster just sets a WWV radio clock on the top of his car at sign up for time synch and I've also just used a little hand-held GPS to set time. I can only hope that the rallymaster is setting their clock accurately to that tone ('cause I never see it).

Agree. Big Numbers!

Jim (hoping to remain a novice for the maximum time allowed!)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#37478 - 30/08/2001 09:48 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: TommyE]
philb
stranger

I bought a ready made OBD module, but it was quite expensive, so I've ordered some bits to try to make a cheaper interface.
I'll post to the board when I get a bit further.
It would be nice if Patrick could add an OBD interface to his empeg interface module!

Phil.

#37479 - 30/08/2001 11:01 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: philb]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
How about this one here 42ukp for a complete board and connector. Would this be any good ?

- --
Rod , UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341

#37480 - 30/08/2001 11:37 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: philb]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
put me on the list for this puppy!!! That sounds amazing! I've been wanting this feature for quite a while so i can see just how much effect those little engine mods have.

|| loren.cox ||

#37481 - 30/08/2001 16:10 Re: V2.0 Clock Visuals Question...NTP/GPS [Re: mardibloke]
philb
stranger

Yeah, this is the PCB I have ordered.

The interface I have has a PIC, whereas Andy Whittaker's board only has opto-isolators, so maybe I'll have more trouble matching the baud rates etc.

Hopefully at the weekend I'll get a chance to convert the code from Win32 Delphi to ARM/Linux C.

Phil.