Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#80089 - 13/03/2002 07:22 Win2K and AudioGrabber
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Here is an issue that I am having. I posted it on the AudioGrabber forum, but I think it is more of a WIn2K issue and oddly reminds me of the track order bug in 1.01.

Using AG 1.81 w. external LAME and Windows 2000. When I highlight a .wav file in a folder, hold down the shift button and click another .wav file (to select say.. 10 .wavs) and then drag into AG, the last .wav selected is never converted. I have now had to disable the "delete mp3 when finished" feature until I manually verify that each and every mp3 was created (or else I'd have to re-rip). This has really slowed down my productivity. The .wav files are not corrupt because if it fails the first time, usually I can drag just that one .wav and it DOES work.

[Not sure if this is related] Something I noticed is that after I select a group of .wav's this way and I drag into the AG program, one of the file icons is not highlighted. (ie, the title of the .wav is still highlighted and so are all the other .wav's - but just one icon is white). The one that ends up not being highlighted is the one I "dragged" the group with. (sorry - wish I knew more descriptive terminology) [/NSITIR]

As an experiment, I just tried the "Create mp3" fuctions (File-->Create MP3) instead of the click-and-drag meathod and it is doing the same thing (ie: not converting the last file selected but deleting the .wav)

I've done a screen capture to show what I'm talking about. Let me know if I should post it.

My setting is: "%s %d --alt-preset standard"

#80090 - 13/03/2002 11:44 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't have that problem with the settings I originally sent you.

Try putting the passed variables AFTER the lame preset to see if that changes anything. Otherwise I'm going to run through some tests tonight for you on my Win2K machine.

Bruno

#80091 - 14/03/2002 10:09 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I guess I am the only one.... I can hear crickets chirp in the AG forums ..

#80092 - 14/03/2002 13:06 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
f_devocht

Loc: Belgium
If you know that it's always the last one, you could just copy the last file and select the 2nd copy too. This way, every file will get converted and the copy will be deleted. Of course, if the behavior you're seeing isn't consistent ...

#80093 - 14/03/2002 13:56 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Try emailing jackie directly, im pretty sure you will get a response.

Sean

#80094 - 14/03/2002 14:01 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Thanks guys.

Oh, BTW Bruno, I made the change you mentioned and while it didn't fix my problem, it did seem to encode faster.... of maybe it was my imagination?

I'll send a note to Jackie now.. (I hate to bug people. - It'd be like sending an PM to Hugo asking some FAQ question)

#80095 - 14/03/2002 16:54 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: Terminator]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I paid for AudioGrabber and used it for a while, but I've since switched to EAC. It seems to be a much more robust program.

#80096 - 15/03/2002 00:40 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Bagpuss

Loc: UK
I think this is actually a bug in Win2K. From what I remember, it's down to the order in which you make the selection.

e.g.

If you click on the top file in the list (assuming you've got Explorer in list view), then hold down shift and click on the last file, the selection is messed up.

If you do it the other way around, i.e. click on the bottom file, hold shift, then click on the top, it works okay.

I may have messed the ordering of this up, but you get the principle. I'm sure it was fixed in SP2, though.

In any event, it no longer happens now I've upgraded to XP Pro.

Andy.

#80097 - 18/03/2002 09:38 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Well guys... I'm having more issues with Audiograbber and Win2K that I thought. Here is what I just sent off to AudioGrabber:

In reply to:

Previous setup: HP N3390 notebook PC with 128MB SDRAM, PIII 600mHz and built-in Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2402 running Windows 98SE. The thing worked like a champ using Media Jukebox, MusicMatch and AudioGrabber w. LAME.
Current Setup: Same as above (identical hardware) with Windows2000. (Simply copied the AG folder to a backup, did a clean install of the OS and moved the folder back).

At first, AG seemed to be working great - getting no "possible speed errors". Ends up (after finding about 20 albums had static and stuttering mp3's) that I had no ASPI installed and AG showed no speed problems because of this.

So, after reading here and on the FAQ, I installed Adaptec ASPI 4.60 via ForceASPI. Re-booted and started to rip. Still no data shown on the buffer display (the green LED looking graphic). My mp3's were still staticy and stuttering (usually on later tracks in the CD).

Finally, I installed Adaptec ASPI 4.70 (after removing the previous version). After a test, I found that my files are still getting messed up.

My DVD-ROM is a 10x unit and usually the thing will rip at 9.xx or 8.xx. This seems faster than usual and may be causing the problems. But, when trying to force a slower speed (say 6x) it will only rip at 1x. Seems my drive likes all or nothing. But like I said, this all worked fine in Win98SE.

I've run out of ideas... I've only had this program for about a month, it was working great, but now it is just wasting my time. I'm willing to try a few things if anyone has any ideas, but if anyone can think of a program that works good on Win2k (as I seem to not be the only person having issues), let me know and I'll buy that instead.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002301.html

Anyone recommend a program that is KNOWN to work with Win2K? I used MediaJukebox and wanted to jump out of a window after using it for a few weeks. EAC?

#80098 - 18/03/2002 10:28 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Anticipating boos and hisses...
Have you tried Windows Media Player?
Turn off DRM, slide it up to the highest bit rate and it works pretty well. The genre's it picks are usually Rock though, which really bites. I can't find a good way to change them in WMP.

I paid for AudioGrabber but am quite frustrated with the support given by Real who bought them. There answer was, we don't support windows 2000.

Edited by bmiller (18/03/2002 10:30)

#80099 - 18/03/2002 13:48 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I'm using EAC on WIN2K with no problems at all. May not be as fast as AudioGrabber, but it's rock-solid.

#80100 - 18/03/2002 13:50 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

And I just found out it is free! :O

I'm still trying to find the best settings, but it looks bulletproof!

#80101 - 18/03/2002 15:49 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: svferris]
guardian__J
enthusiast

Loc: MI, USA
hey, maybe you can help...
I recently downloaded and installed EAC on my Win2K machine due to all the rave reviews from this site, but...I can't get it to EVER detect a cd being in the drive...it's really weird...
I was wondering if you or any else has seen this and might be able to provide some insights...

#80102 - 18/03/2002 16:17 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: guardian__J]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

PM or email me. I have seen a lot of this, and it always seems to be related to not have ASPI installed. Win98 and Me come with ASPI built in, but with Win2K, you need to install it yourself. Adaptec makes the installer, and it is a tiny file. the BBS at www.exactaudiocopy.de mention it from time to time. Audiograbber has problems with it too, but EAC has actually made it work!

#80103 - 18/03/2002 19:49 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: bmiller]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You didn't buy Audiograbber. Either that, or you've made a mistake in the second portion of your post. "They" were not bought by Real.

Audiograbber is a one-man deal. There's no "they." It's made and sold by Jackie Franck. Who also happens to be the author of the program you are probably thinking of, AudioCatalyst. He made that based on Audiograbber, for XING. XING was bought by Real. XING took over development of AudioCatalyst from Jackie a while back. AudioCatalyst works ONLY with XING's encoder. Jackie's Audiograbber works with any encoder.

Does Windows Media Player support MP3 in Win2K? Making WMA files is a complete waste of time. Does it support FreeDB? Does it archive a copy of your album info, for all albums you read? Does it support custom-length tracks by repositioning the start and end markers? Does it handle digitizing of external analogue sources from the same interface?

Sorry, just didn't want Brad's message to go off-track onto the irrelevance of WMA and Windows Media Player. They're the BETAMAX of lossy music compression, without the edge in quality.

Bruno

#80104 - 18/03/2002 20:11 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mail2mm
journeyman

Loc: Wyoming and New Zealand
I am using Audiograbber v1.81 build 2, Lame v3.89beta (internal DLL) and Win2k SP2. I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 notebook, PIII-500, with 512 MB RAM. I know this is not exactly the software configuration you are using but for what it is worth I have not been able to duplicate the problem you described. Audiograbber is working well with Lame encloding at 192 or 256. I am using an internal Dell CD-RW drive (Sony CRX-700E).

I started with MusicMatch Jukebox and could not produce a clean file, free of pops and clicks, no matter what I tried. Let me know if you would like me to try some other testing.

#80105 - 19/03/2002 09:19 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: hybrid8]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
You are exactly correct. It was AudioCatalyst. Thanks for the clarification.

#80106 - 19/03/2002 09:23 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Win98 and Me come with ASPI built in, but with Win2K, you need to install it yourself.

Is that only for SCSI CD-ROM drives, perhaps? I've always used EAC on Win2k and definitely don't have ASPI installed; I've always assumed this was because EAC used the proper native support NT/2000/XP has via ioctl(SCSI_PASS_THROUGH).

Peter

#80107 - 19/03/2002 10:46 Re: Win2K and AudioGrabber [Re: peter]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

You CAN use native support for Win2K and EAC, but even the author of EAC admits it will work better with ASPI installed. ASPI is primarily a SCSI interface (that's what the "S" stands for) but it also works for IDE and in fact, all at least AudioGrabber and EAC prefer to use it. I was ripping with native support, but you get no error feedback and the rips aren't as error free because of it. Adaptec just released a generic ASPI driver that finally doesn't require you to have an Adaptec device in order to use it.

I don't have SCSI