Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#83569 - 26/03/2002 14:00 Custom Console Question
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
Im about to start trying to fabricate a console for my 2001 Dodge Ram to fit where the fold down cupholders are now all the way up to the front seat. My questions are:

1. what is the best way to do this to make it look like a factory install.
2. What is the best materials to use it out of.
3. Should I give up on using anything but plywood and carpet because everything else would be out of my league.

I would really appreciate some input on this, especially from yall that have an experience doing this.
thanks

#83570 - 26/03/2002 14:09 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Here is a pic of the inside of a dodge like mine, forgive me for not actually putting photos of mine up but my digital camera is broke right now, For those who dont know the inside of these trucks. The cupholders I mentioned are the panel with the handle right below the factory radio if you can see that. I want to build a console that will take the place of this panel and connect from there to the seat

Attachments
81928-overview_lg.jpg (116 downloads)

#83571 - 26/03/2002 14:14 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Yet another picture with the arrow pointing to the panel I will be replacing with the console.

Im going to try to borrow a friends Digital Camera so I can take so better pictures of my truck to help.

Attachments
81931-dashboard_lg.jpg (111 downloads)

#83572 - 26/03/2002 14:18 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That just screams for a fiberglass or plastic molded replacement.

I wonder if somone makes that sort of thing already? Anyone have any links to cusomizer/tweaker shops that sell that kind of thing?

#83573 - 26/03/2002 14:27 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
These probably aren't exactly what you're looking for, but this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of, I'm guessing someone probably makes something along these lines that will suit what you need to do...

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part_family.cfm/categoryid/4/subcategoryid/15

#83574 - 26/03/2002 14:32 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Try googling for something like "fiberglass subwoofer" and "enclosure, cabinet....etc"

I think for mere mortals without access to vacuum molding factories, one of the most common materials for this kind of thing is some combination of plywood, MDF and polyester resins. When I built a custom subwoofer cabinet I found some decent HOW-TO examples on the web - folks that molded polyester resin into trunks, tirewells, etc. This isn't the same as what you hope to do, but some of the techniques can be the same.

Using fiberglass/polyester with just a few wood braces and inserts will give you something lighter than if you use a lot of plywood.

Polyester resins are used with chopped-glass mat. Aadvantages of choped glass are that it is easy to mold and, unlike woven fiberglass reinforcing sheets. it can be sanded smooth (woven will always shoot out glass strands when sanded). You can either lay it up over a mockup that you build or inside a form that you build. You'll need to use something as a "release agent" that allows you to separate the piece from the mold. Once you get a basic casting done, you can take it somewhere and work on adding braces, sanding. If going the polyester route, make sure to finish all surfaces with a sealing coat (forget the name of the stuff they add to do this) regardless of whether you are going to paint of carpet it -- otherwise your work will stink forever.

There's a great fiberglass store in my neighborhood that has some HOW-TOs on their web site that might help:

www.fiberlay.com

They also sell mail-order, I think, and are the best, I think, at what they do - "Resins R Us" Final advice: go to a tool or paint shop and buy a whole box of disposable rubber gloves!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#83575 - 26/03/2002 14:32 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: tfabris]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Thats around the lines Im thinking of, but I want it to be completely integrated into the dash.
If anyone knows of a company or person that can fabricate something like this I will happily draw up some plans and specs for them

#83576 - 26/03/2002 21:36 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: jimhogan]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

I would love to do something with fiberglass or somthing similar but I am just wondering how feasible that is considering I live in an apartment and dont have much room to work with stuff like that

#83577 - 26/03/2002 22:00 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

It's rather stinky. It's the sort of thing that really requires a ventilated workshop or garage.

#83578 - 26/03/2002 22:21 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: genixia]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
It's rather stinky.

Yup. I had worked with a lot of epoxy resins before without huge vapor problems, but the polyester resin (I used for the first time for that subwoofer) really gassed/stunk as it cured.

Not to discourage you, Dodgecowboy, but another issue is making sure you have a workspace where you can contain and sweep/vacuum the inevitable matt strands that come loose. I could see doing a project like this in a good-sized kitchen, but only if you could crank all the windows open and could afford to sit out on the porch for a few hours as the work cured. Up to a certain point, you want to work in a warm space as this speeds up curing. In Louisiana, I'd say indoors or out would qualify in the summer!

At least some high-end car stereo shops will build you a custom console like this, but the ones I know of are really high-end and I could see them charging $600-$700+ for a one-off (as opposed to about the $100 of materials you'd need). For subwoofeers in some cars, a middle ground between the mass-produced molded units and the one-offs are boxes built by talented enthusiasts; I've seen stuff like this on WRX boards. If there is any sort of on-line Dodge Ram community, I wonder if anyone has already built a console such as you desire and is maybe looking to sell a few specimens?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#83579 - 27/03/2002 13:19 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: jimhogan]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Thats what I was Afraid of, My apartment doesnt have the workspace needed for doing all that, and I can't afford $600 being a college student, Im still paying off the rest of my audio equipment.

I have been checking around online dodge communities but no luck yet on even finding one that has been built. Hopefully I will find something soon..

I appreciate all the help and any more Ideas would be appreciated. I will be looking and thinking myself.

#83580 - 01/04/2002 23:30 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
mrmunsell
journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I made a custom center console insert piece for my car. My center console is way different than what you would need..... but I thought maybe it might give you some ideas.

http://www.mrmunsell.com/My_CRX/Audio_System/Center_Console/center_console.html

I made it by trimming the orignal console piece, and epoxying in new ABS paneling to get the overall shape I wanted and then using body filler to get the final contours. Since no glass is required, it wasn't too messy to build.... and no power tools required. Plus I did this in my smallish apartment in Los Angeles (I recommend just getting some plastic sheeting at your local hardware store, only a couple bucks, and cover your workspace to make clean up quick and easy). And do all painting outside!

http://www.mrmunsell.com/My_CRX/Audio_System/Sub_Enclosure/sub_enclosure.html

I also built this at my apartment complex, but without AC power tools and having to worry about pissing off my neighbors by making too much noise, it took a bit longer than similar projects I had done in the past when I lived at home (my parents had a garage).

#83581 - 02/04/2002 08:35 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: mrmunsell]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

I appreciate the imput, I just have one question, what exactly are the materials you made the sub box out of, and where would you get it. Im sure i probably cant get it around here, but I probably can from my hometown.

#83582 - 02/04/2002 11:56 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: mrmunsell]
fede
journeyman

Loc: Texas
I do most of my own fabrication but I normally stick with plywood or metal. I am very impressed with the work you were able to do on the Honda. It gives me some great ideas for some future installs.

#83583 - 02/04/2002 19:40 Re: Custom Console Question [Re: dodgecowboy]
mrmunsell
journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I actually mail ordered all the stuff to make the sub box. A friend of mine that is pretty knowledgable about composites recommended Aircraft Spruce as a source.

I used Rutan bi-directional weave glass and West System epoxy (much better to work with than that Polyester stuff, which is pretty messy and toxic, plus it shrinks over time). I have built many fiberglass enclosures in the past, but this was the first non-polyester resin based one.....

Some links to the appropriate catalog pages are below. They have better stuff that could yeild higher strength to weight ratios, but I felt this was the best bang-for-the-buck. I wanted a box that would be strong but add minimal weight to my car....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/