Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#93032 - 10/05/2002 20:27 Eclipse Install
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I've read the FAQ and didn't see these issues brought up. If they were covered, please forgive me. I just paid $400 to have an amp, a head unit, a RioCar and 2 sets of speakers installed. The Rio is connected to the headunit's AUX input. However I cannot put the Rio at 0 dB because it results in terrible distortion. Because the signal first runs through the headunit, I don't believe that adjusting the gains on the amp will help. Having spent $400 on the labor, I would rather not fiddle with the gain settings on the amps at this point, especially when reasoning suggests that it wouldn't help anyway. Could it be that I am overdriving the inputs on the headunit (an Eclipse CD8051) when I turn up the level on the Rio? I couldn't find any specs on the input section of the headunit to verify. As it stands now, I can only go up to about -9.5 dB without distortion. Did my installers scew up some how?

Second question. I'm pretty sure the installers are at fault here. I noticed that the channels are reversed when playing from the Rio. It's fine through the CD player on the headunit. Is there a provision to reverse the channels in software on the Rio? By reversed, I mean right comes out of left and left out of right. I haven't come across this in the FAQ, on the BBS, or through my admittedly brief experience with the player.

Stu

#93033 - 10/05/2002 20:36 Re: Eclipse Install [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It sounds like the head unit's inputs are getting overdriven. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the head unit probably only wants 1v inputs. In that case, it's acceptable to reduce the empeg's volume to -10db or whatever it takes. If this is the situation, this isn't the installers' fault, it's just that the CD player wants 1v. Details Here.

Note: This assumes that your empeg is set to "flat". If you're overdriving the loudness or the EQ bands, then set that back to flat and see if the distortion is still there.

There is no provision to swap the channels in software, just swap the RCA plugs on the aux-in so it's correct.

#93034 - 12/05/2002 09:04 Re: Eclipse Install [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Thanks Tony.

It would be nice if a swap left and right channels feature were available in software. Any chance this could be added into a future release? I know that some PC player apps offer this feature. If it were available, it would save me and others the trouble of having to remove the docking sled and physically swapping the connections. I'm not even sure how it's attached. I'd also rather avoid repeated removal of the sled if possible.

Stu

#93035 - 12/05/2002 09:26 Re: Eclipse Install [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You could probably bug MLord or Genixia to see if they can add the channel swapping as a config.ini option to Hijack. I'll bet it's just a few lines of code. Don't count on seeing it in the default player software, though. Generally, they don't waste time on features that can be corrected by properly installing the player.

By the way, have you checked to see if there's a channel-swapping feature for your head unit's aux-in? Maybe that's the source of the problem?

#93036 - 12/05/2002 10:34 Re: Eclipse Install [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I haven't delved into Hijack as of yet. But maybe I should bug them.

Good idea on the headunit. I don't think it has that feature either though.

Generally, they don't waste time on features that can be corrected by properly installing the player.

Actually there are other uses for this feature. An MP3 of an improperly recorded piece of audio could also benefit from such feature. Of course then it would have to be tagged to each individual MP3 in need of such an adjustment

Stu

#93037 - 12/05/2002 15:07 Re: Eclipse Install [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Swapping for MP3 is one thing, swapping for AUX and Tuner, inputs that don't go near the CPU is another thing.

In theory you can do it with the balance controls in the DSP, though.

Hugo