Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#96696 - 30/05/2002 18:55 LED Trouble
MoRoToRiUm
new poster

I'm hoping that some one else might have some ideas here. I am modifying my empeg with the Hijack Kernel and LEDs. I have the four LEDs behind the buttons working properly, dim right and everything. Now the trouble are the ones behind the know. Made the board, tested it on a power supply, works fine. Hook it up, works, but not with the dimmer. I've taken it apart a few times and back together to have the same results. Their aren't any shorts or soldier bridges, so I don't know what's up. Maybe after doing it soo many times I fried the Transistor from too much heat. I don't know. If it were fried I don't think it would get any voltage to light the LEDs. ANy other ideas? (Keep in mind I don't see any problems around the Transistor or the board), I'd appreciate it. Thanks again

#96697 - 30/05/2002 21:09 Re: LED Trouble [Re: MoRoToRiUm]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I had the very same problem.

Either the transistor is shot so that it is always on - try measuring across emitter/collector with empeg off. IIRC right and center (top) leg as the board is mounted - should be high (infinite) resistance. Also do a diode check (if your meter has it) across base/emitter and base/collector. Or you do have a solder bridge from the +5V supply pad/trace to the emitter pad/trace (the one going to all LEDs and the tranny). For me the latter was the case - a really really tiny whisker of solder I didn't notice until checking very closely with a big magnifying glass...

/Michael

#96698 - 31/05/2002 07:39 Re: LED Trouble [Re: MoRoToRiUm]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I had a similar issue... turned out I just had my signal wire soldered to the wrong thing.... is your signal wire from your knob board soldered to the correct leg of your button LED?

#96699 - 31/05/2002 08:19 Re: LED Trouble [Re: mtempsch]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I had *exactly* this problem the first time, and it was a solder bridge at the transistor.

Edited by genixia (31/05/2002 08:20)