Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98486 - 09/06/2002 22:01 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon
jagorny
new poster

I'm about at the point of giving up, I think, which would make some wannabe empeg user out there very happy...

I have a 2002 Golf with the double-DIN CD/Tape player receiver... I have been given the run-around by a lot of online and off-line folks about hardware to install this in my vehicle. It's not even a matter of voltages anymore, it's about the fact that there doesn't seem to be any hardware to allow me to hook up ANY car stereo to my car, short of cutting all the waires and making it permanent.

The kits for newer volkswagens don't match... so you have an idea, the power leads are part of one large square, in which are two sub-blocks - a brown block for audio, and a blue block for the radio receiver. Most VW harnesses have a split block of two sets of 8 pins... totally incompatible, as the slats go the wrong way and the plug is slightly larger that on my system...

I have called crutchfield and hopefully they will have a solution... unfortunately, I am afriad they will send me the specs for the double-DIN, double deck system... I have a double din, but it is one large block that takes up both DINs... both were available this year, and unfortunately I got a car with the unified system.

Any help, PLEASE?!

-Jacob

#98487 - 10/06/2002 05:05 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: jagorny]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
What you need to do.....

1. Consider a professional installer (trust me, you paid for an
Empeg, pay to get it installed right)

2. VW has a pocket for converting a double din to single with a little bit of storage space.

3. FORGET USING THE MONSOON AMP. Run RCA cables to the trunk, install an aftermarket amp.

I think crutchfield is going to send you the harness for a headunit, something you will not need.

If you read through my posts on my install (and a few others),
interfacing with the monsoon amp is next to impossible
(as stated in my e-mail).

As for cutting the harness, the only part you may need to cut are the speaker leads (my installer built me a harness so we did NOT have to cut this harness, I can have this puppy back to stock in 15 minutes)....you will be bypassing the HU to Monsoon amp cable, so you can leave that in place, untouched.

If you have ANY other questions, just ask. Don't go though the same nightmare I did trying to connect to the &%$%'en
Monsoon system......

#98488 - 10/06/2002 06:48 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: Satan_X]
jagorny
new poster

Yeah... I got those posts... I have been looking into getting the pie multi-interface w/ 4-channel gain control to resolve the line level/gain issue... I have to look at the specs a little more...

I even have most of the parts I need to build the harness for the audio... not the male plug portion, but I figure I could find that eventually or else do an adhoc wrap of those eight wires. It's the annoying power interface that is bugging me...

I may have to go with the pro install of a new amp, but I want to make sure my other options are exhausted before I sink more big $$$ into this endeavor. -J

#98489 - 10/06/2002 14:46 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: jagorny]
Satan_X
enthusiast

dont get to hopeful 'bout that pie multi-interface.....looked into that, got many mixed reports ranging from it wont work to it might work (heavy on the might)....

#98490 - 10/06/2002 15:36 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: jagorny]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I would not go cutting any wires yet, as the new double din head units have a differetn setup as opposed to the single din with optional cd, and I am 90% sure part of the CAN data bus is also wired in there somehow. I will go pick the shop formans brain tomorrow as to how to go around this. Hold off for a day or two.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#98491 - 10/06/2002 16:33 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: Heather]
jagorny
new poster

Thanks! That's the first thing I have read that makes sense so far regarding these super head units... even looking at the lead map on the unit itself had me stumped... I mean the speaker leads look standard, but as for the rest... some odd acronyms there. I have tried to get more info and/or schemas and come up empty... If anyone is wondering what I am talking about, there was a thread on swapping the polarity (yellow/black wires) with pictures that shows this new harness in action... the stereo looks exactly like mine, but I think it was in a Jetta (??)... I dont' plan on doing ANYTHING with the stereo for the time being... too many lead fumes...

-JG

#98492 - 11/06/2002 10:33 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: Satan_X]
jagorny
new poster

How about the 4 channel pre-amp circuit on this page?
http://www.davidnavone.com/linedrivers.html

#98493 - 11/06/2002 14:22 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: jagorny]
Satan_X
enthusiast

I looked at that. I was told it might work with monsoon. I was not daring enough to spend the $70 + to try it out.

#98494 - 11/06/2002 18:30 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! New Monsoon [Re: jagorny]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I would just go with the buy a new amp option. The sooner you can purge your car of the evil monsoon system the better.

Matt

#98495 - 12/06/2002 09:16 Re: 2002 VW Golf Frustration! RESOLVED! [Re: jagorny]
jagorny
new poster

I got a great response which clarified a lot of things for me... have a look... It still doesn't solve the wiring harness issue but so far as the Monsoon is concerned, it's a nice explanation...

<snip>
Hi Jacob and David,

The Monsoon system amplifiers use current sensing to turn on (wake up),
instead of using a separate remote turn-on lead.

The amplifier uses the DC offset that is present on an amplified, speaker
level signal to wake-up. An RCA-type signal does not have this offset, which
in turn does not wakeup the factory amplifier.

It seems that all eight speaker leads need to be hooked up before the
amplifier will turn on. Also, the Monsoon amps do not like the MOSFET-type
outputs that are present on most new aftermarket radios. It looks like the
stock VW radio is about 12 watts per channel, so we usually recommend that
people stay with lower-power-rated radios (or amplifier in your case) when
doing this integration.

Your best bet, Jacob, is as Dave suggested.. just buy a nice little 20watt,
4-channel amp and use it to integrate into your Monsoon amp.

Hope this helps,
Rob Putman
SoundGate
<end snip>