Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98933 - 12/06/2002 11:04 I broke my DB! (Or something did)
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
OK, here's what I did.

Ripped new CD (two discs) onto computer, and decided I'd give JEmplode a go for shoving them on the empeg, as I'd heard such good reports about it. JEmplode gave an error on Track 8 that it could not upload the file. Empeg rebooted and rebuilt it's DB.

Decided I'd have a go another day, I fired up emplode instead, and uploaded the rest of the files (these were going into Disc 1 and Disc 2 named playlists, inside the album playlist). All seemed to go OK, until I attempted to play said playlist. I like to be able to play the whole album (both discs) at once, and to do so, I go to the album playlist (which contains Disc 1 and Disc 2 playlists) and just select the play icon there.

Now, the problem is, it will only play the files in the Disc 2 playlist if I do this, not the Disc 1 playlist. However, if I specifically select the Disc 1 playlist, it plays the files in there fine.

OK, I thought, I'll just make a new playlist (called it disc1_1), and copy the files into that. Did that, tried again, still only played Disc 2.

Fine, I thought. Obviously the root playlist was corrupted (album name). So I created a new playlist with a temporary name, and copied the Disc 1 and Disc 2 playlists into that new playlist. Attempted to play that one, and... refused to play any songs from *either* playlist - just gave me the Now Playing screen with -/- for the number of tracks currently in the playlist!

Any ideas as to what is wrong? I imagine I can fix it by deleting completely and re-uploading, but I wondered if anything could be done to try and track down the root cause.

Cheers,

A.
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#98934 - 12/06/2002 11:09 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
First, use Emplode to look at the properties of the playlists and the tracks. See if any of the special flags such as "ignore as child" or "play X tracks at random" are marked for them.

#98935 - 12/06/2002 11:15 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: tfabris]
snoopstah
enthusiast

I feel such a fool.

Thanks Tony, again. Any chance you can make this thread just, uhm, disappear?

A.

#98936 - 12/06/2002 11:20 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Don't assume it was YOU that flagged those items. There is a possibility that the items were flagged that way of their own accord. It might be a bug.

Remember that FIDs get re-used. For instance, if you delete a file or a playlist, then create a new file or playlist, the new FID is the same as the old deleted one. In theory, the detailed data of that FID should get cleared out before it gets re-used. But maybe that's not happening in certain versions of the software you were using.

There were other reports elsewhere on the BBS of unusual things like a "plays" count of 65535 when using Jemplode. Perhaps this is related?

#98937 - 12/06/2002 11:29 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: tfabris]
snoopstah
enthusiast

I'm certain I didn't flag 'em myself - but I still feel like a right fool for not checking the most blatently obvious option.

Oddly, in the original album playlist, Disc 1 was flagged 'ignore as child' but Disc 2 was not. When I copied the Disc 1 and Disc 2 playlists to the new temp album playlist, Disc 2 become flagged as well. This seems to agree with your theory, especially as before doing this, I'd cleared out a number of albums/playlists I rarely listen to.

If it helps, it was with Version 36 of Jemplode.

#98938 - 12/06/2002 11:35 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: snoopstah]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
I've seen similar stuff happen - often with the "marked" flag. It was annoying for a while with no UI to change the flag on a playlist (JEmplode now supports this, but didn't at the time). I had to change my stored search to select only marked tunes.

#98939 - 12/06/2002 11:44 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: tms13]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This was actually in Emplode, too, not just Jemplode. I got marked playlists in emplode as well, and had to specifically request the ability to alter the Marked flag in Emplode.

So the problem might not necessarily be Jemplode.

Are any empeg guys reading this? Where in the code does a FID get initialized? In the player when the database gets rebuilt, or in the Emplode/Emptool code?

#98940 - 12/06/2002 12:47 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: tfabris]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

This was actually in Emplode, too, not just Jemplode

Emptool too, IIRC.

#98941 - 12/06/2002 15:15 Re: I broke my DB! (Or something did) [Re: tms13]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Yeah -- I haven't checked to see if it's still there but editing the dynamic data was terribly hosed for a while (both in Emplode and jEmplode). I haven't noticed a problem with initializing that data, but I played around a lot to figure out why things like the Marked flag couldn't be edited w/ jEmplode so it's possible i screwed up the reading of that data.... But if people see it in Emplode too I won't worry about it.