Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#276482 - 27/02/2006 13:38 Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors...
jbrinkerhoff

Finally installed "for real" the empeg into my new jeep. Im pretty satisfied, but I have some seemingly strange behavior...

#1 - I synched with emplode at home a few times, and that all went fine. But the day before the "real" install I synched with jemplode here at work (v444) and ever since the player does "rebuilding databases" on startup. I've tried unsucessfully a number of times to re-synch, it always seems to hang on "remounting disks", just sits there forever (hours). Player seems to work OK tho.

#2 - Running 3A11, The player is powered normally, constant power through the yellow wire, Ignition sense on the other power wire. I checked for sure. When I start the car, the empeg boots just fine and works. However when I power it off via the front button (long press) it goes off and will not power on until I pull the unit and reseat it. It also doesnt seem to go to "sleep" when powered off, it goes OFF (no flashing LED). Any ideas? I did recently re-flash to A11 (from A7) and added Hijack (wasnt using before).

#3 - Radio mode: Is there a way to tune the tuner one "step" at a time without the remote? I.e. scan VS seek? Seek works well, but doesnt always stop where I want. I guess I'll have them all in presets soon, so not a big deal.

#4 - Radio mode again (its new to me). Seems in order to get the clock to display (I lost my only clock in the stock radio - never thoguht of that!) I have to choose the clock visuals? If I do (via visuals menu) how do I get back to the radio display? And is there a "plain simple digital clock" visual with no moing stars background? It might be sacralege, but I honestly usually use Info: Track and the non-fancy visuals.

#5 - I think I found this in the FAQ, not sure how it work tho. Is there a way to get the clock to display in player mode too? And is it sticky? Maybe a neat hijack option would be to superimpose a real simple clock ( ##:##) over the main display ALL the time (like lower right or something). Or maybe I'll just have to get a stick-on clock for my car (heheh)

Thanks for ALL the help. Oh, and it sounds just fine feeding the 4v preamp outs into the stock infinity amp as-is. I might just return the OEM-2.

Jeff

#276483 - 27/02/2006 14:56 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
  1. emplode and jemplode don't seem to play nice together. If you pick one and stick with it, you'll seem to be fine, but switching back and forth seems "bad" for some reason. I usually find that if I go back to emplode and change one track and resync, everything will get rebuilt properly. Probably just delete a track, sync, reupload the track, and sync again.
  2. Are you really, really sure you've got the power lines wired properly? It sounds exactly like you don't.
  3. Nope. I find that if you have good reflexes, you can stop pressing the scan button just as it starts to move and you can go one frequency at a time, but that's irritating at best.
  4. You can switch between visuals and normal displays by holding the down button for a second or two. Can you put the display in one-line mode (I forget what it's called now) when on the tuner? I don't know what it displays if you can do that, but it might be helpful. There aren't any more visuals than what are built into the empeg. I don't remember if there's an unadorned clock one.
  5. I think the radio will display the time as broadcast from the radio station. Usually the radio station is too lazy to set their clock properly, if they even broadcast it at all, so good luck with that. I don't think that there's a way to show the empeg's internal clock on the normal radio display. And you could wear a watch.

#276484 - 27/02/2006 15:01 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
#3 - Radio mode: Is there a way to tune the tuner one "step" at a time without the remote? I.e. scan VS seek? Seek works well, but doesnt always stop where I want. I guess I'll have them all in presets soon, so not a big deal.

If you're using Hijack, you can program the knob to do different things. One of them is KnobSeek which will let you step 1 freq at a time using the knob.

#276485 - 27/02/2006 17:10 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: robricc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:

If you're using Hijack, you can program the knob to do different things. One of them is KnobSeek which will let you step 1 freq at a time using the knob.

Exactly. And this is very simple to do. Just push/hold the knob until the Hijack menu appears, then release it, and scroll to Knob Press Redefinition. Select PopUp0 (rotate knob until it appears, then press/release the knob to make the change). All of that just needs doing once, ever.

Now, from any regular player display, press/release the knob like a normal button, and a small (timed) popup appears. Rotate the knob until KnobSeek appears and then click it again. In tuner mode, this will bring up Manual Tuning -- just spin the knob to change frequencies.

Cheers

#276486 - 27/02/2006 18:00 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Is there a way to get the clock to display in player mode too?

Switch the info mode to Info: Line, or Info: Track. Then go to Settings, Timecode, Clock. You can also use the Clock visual.

Quote:
Seems in order to get the clock to display (I lost my only clock in the stock radio - never thoguht of that!) I have to choose the clock visuals?

You can do the same thing as above. Also, when you are in Info: Radio mode, if the station broadcasts an RDS clock, the time will appear on that screen. It will probably be an incorrect time if you live in the US, since US radio stations are notoriously bad for broadcasting the correct time.

The Info: Line and Visual: Clock time is the player's internal clock, the Info: Radio clock is (if visible) the RDS clock.

Quote:
Is there a way to tune the tuner one "step" at a time without the remote?

As was stated before, use the Hijack feature "knob seek", or use the remote.

Quote:
and ever since the player does "rebuilding databases" on startup (...) Running 3A11

I have simply seen lots of weirdness and database corruption problems with the V3 alphas. If you want trouble-free synchs, version 2.0 final is the best one to use. If you want to use the radio scan feature, you might have to go to 2.0 Beta 13.

Quote:
It also doesnt seem to go to "sleep" when powered off, it goes OFF (no flashing LED).

You either have a blown fuse, some kind of wiring error, or you've got the Negative Spike Bug.

#276487 - 27/02/2006 18:26 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

Thank you to both Mark and Tony on this one! I had finally found some of that info in the FAQ, but still wasnt clear on how to get the popup menu to work. That is sweet (and customizable, I love it!).

One final question, should the clock be synched each time I sync the player? Its still way off in both hours and minutes. I do have the timezone set.

I guess I will have to troubleshoot the wiring. I did check it before installing, but that seems the most likely problem (and easiest to check). It worked fine in the old Jeep, so hopefully not the player itself.

Jeff

Jeff

#276488 - 27/02/2006 19:31 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
One final question, should the clock be synched each time I sync the player?

No. This was an oft-requested feature that never got implemented.

I think you can install your own NTP daemon onto the player, but it requires some linux experience to install and use properly. I've never bothered, I just set the player's clock from the front panel.

#276489 - 27/02/2006 21:35 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
...or you have set your power down delay to 0 seconds....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#276490 - 27/02/2006 21:36 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

... or power up your empeg more often than every four days (the rough lifetime of the charge contained in the supercap used for battery backup of the RTC).

#276491 - 28/02/2006 18:06 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: schofiel]
jbrinkerhoff

Bingo... That was it. It was set to 2 seconds. How? I have no idea. It used to be set to something obscene, like 500. I set it back to 300, and now all is good with the world.

Thanks everyone! Things are looking up, now I just need to get some time to tweak the EQ (frustrating at best)... How well does the autoEQ work? I might pick up a mic and give it a whirl.

Jeff

#276492 - 28/02/2006 21:50 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

You're welcome.

AutoEQ - well worth a spin as long as you are patient and prepare properly. I would suggest you read the excellent "Best Empeg Sound" page that Brad has done before you try it out to set your empeg up ready to go before you make your attempt. I most heartily recommend you do not set the playback gain level too high before your first attempt - you risk your speakers and your hearing otherwise.

Good luck!

#276493 - 02/03/2006 03:30 Re: Empeg finally in the jeep again. Series of strange behaviors... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
Bingo... That was it. It was set to 2 seconds. How? I have no idea. It used to be set to something obscene, like 500.

I've run into this bug before. I don't know exactly where the threshold is, but if you set that value too high, the empeg acts as if it's 0 or something.