I know that many people here have X10 systems in their homes. I was wondering, for those of you set up for it, what the best way was to control it via your computer.

I still have the "firecracker" device that came with my starter kit about four years ago. I stopped using it because all the software was was a digital representation of the physical remote that came with the system. The actual remote was probably easier to use.

Ideally, I'd like some kind of software that will use the firecracker instead of having to go buy more hardware. Ideally, I'd like something that will respond to keyboard commands so I can program Girder states for the number buttons on my Remote Wonder.

*edit*
upon searching everywhere I could think of, scratch the firecracker thing. So, I guess I'm down to looking for the whole package. X10's Active Home doesn't really appeal to me. Is there anything else out there?

*edit edit*
Just so I can get all that I've found into this post, I'll just add that I'm currently browsing Smarthome's catalog. However, I don't think I'm up to spending over $200 for a piece of software that will turn my lights on and off. Also, most of the products they list have nothing to do with X10 at all (though I got there through the X10 link), like D-Link wireless networking products.

But, if I want to go through them, it's nice to know that they have the latest hardware available

I suppose the other option would be a program from Sourceforge or some similar freeware. I'd still need to know what hardware to use to controll it.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (30/01/2004 03:22)