As documented in this thread, many people have had difficulties getting apps other than the player to display local time properly. Regardless of the TZ setting, "date" always returns UTC. I tried copying a bunch of files from /usr/share/zoneinfo on another system, but this didn't help the situation (although the files I copied into there became available in the player app's Timezone menu, strangely.) I also tried creating a symlink /etc/localtime which links to my timezone, but still, 'date' returns UTC. It seems that there's some piece of configuration that nobody's found yet that needs to be in place for localtime() to perform time zone correction. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, from what I understand, the player uses UTC internally, but for display purposes, offers the "Timezone" setting. I don't know where that setting is saved, but my initial peeking in the flash savearea tells me it doesn't live there, so I'm guessing it's somewhere on hda3. Can any of the empeg gods enlighten us on exactly where it lives, or at least on what sector? If I can go find that, I won't need to worry about the TZ variable or anything else.