Here's the Makefile.

Instructions are in the file; reproduced below for your convenience.
  1. Prerequisites:
    • Make sure you have OpenJade or another DSSSL processor that can produce RTF output.
    • If you want to produce PostScript, you can do this with a GUI editor like AbiWord, but I've chosen Ted because it's easy to use in a Makefile.
    • To make the booklet, I use the psutils package to shuffle pages.
    • If you're running Debian, the above are installed very simply: "apt-get install openjade ted psutils". If you're not running Debian, you probably don't have /etc/papersize - you'll need to edit the PAPERSIZE variable below.
    • This makefile is written for GNU make, so if you're using a different make, you'll need to do some editing.
  2. Obtain the empeg.dsl stylesheet and save it into this directory.
  3. Decide which parts of your player you want to print out. The stylesheet will print everything, starting with the root, but you can prune subtrees or individual tunes by adding a custom tag called
    "print" with a value of "none" to the tune or playlist. The effect is as if you'd removed that tune or playlist from the player. Other values you can use for the "print" tag are "summary" to show only a count of tunes in a playlist, or "all" to prevent the stylesheet choosing a summary count. The default value is "normal", meaning use heuristics to decide whether do show child tunes.
  4. Using a recent version of JEmplode (at least v42), export as XML to a file called playlists.xml (or change the definition of FILENAME below, but your file must end in ".xml") in the same directory as this Makefile and the stylesheet. Do not use "Export Emplode XML" as this is a different format (if you don't have "Export Emplode XML" in the menu, your JEmplode is too old).
  5. Type "make" to build the booklet as a postscript file called playlists-book.ps. If you just want the RTF (perhaps because you don't have Ted, and need to do the RTF->PS step by hand, or perhapsyou want to hand-edit the output), type "make playlists.rtf". You can then save your PostScript as playlists.ps and type "make" to finish making the booklet. Similarly, you can type "make playlists.ps" to make the full-size pages instead of the booklet.
  6. Print this on a duplex printer in the usual way (e.g. "lp playlists-book.ps"). The result is a stack of sheets; keeping these together, fold them in half and then into quarters. Staple through the second of these folds, then trim the first fold off to make a nice A6 booklet for the car.

This Makefile certainly has a Linux or Unix bias, and possibly a Debian one. Comments from people who adapt it for other environments will be greatly appreciated (as will reports of success without any adaptation). In particular, I'd like to receive comments or patches that make it work better on other systems without breaking it on my own environment.

Attachments
110367-Makefile (192 downloads)