After a brief ICQ conversation with Roger, I now have an explanation for what happened:

- Alfaguy has his player working on ethernet, using a Dynamic IP address.

- He wants to set a Fixed IP address.

- He goes into the "Select Player" DISCOVERY DIALOG options (this is the critical piece of information that I was missing and the source of my confustion) and tries to enter a fixed IP address. The options button on the discovery dialog is the place where you tell it to LOOK for the player, not the place where you ASSIGN the player's IP address.

- When his player is still working on ethernet, he cannot see the the "File/Configure Player/Networking" tab. This tab is deliberately invisible when Emplode Beta 13 is connected via ethernet. This is to prevent errors such as changing the IP address as part of a synch which causes emplode to display an error message when it is unable to re-download the database.

- So Alfaguy's problem was that he couldn't even see the option to change the player's networking features.

Roger is currently making this more clear in the next Emplode beta. Instead of the "Networking" tab disappearing completely, it will be replaced with a placeholder tab that explains you need serial or USB to change the networking features.

I am clarifying the FAQ on this point.