I'm running empeg car Version 2.00-beta13 and Emplode beta11.

Ah, there you go, then.

The fact that you can change the network address while connected via the network was a bug in Emplode beta 11 that was corrected in beta 13. It was a bug that caused errors during the synch. If you change the IP address, the second half of the synch fails.

You should be running emplode beta 13 as there were some other more serious bugs in beta 11 that have been corrected.

Well, I didn't start this thread. I was only trying to understand Alfaguy problem.

Ah, my bad, then. Getting user names confused.

I cannot let Riocar to use a fixed IP at work since here every computer has to be DHCP.

You can give it a fixed IP that is completely different from your work IP range and it will work as long as your local PC is configured to have an additional IP in that range. That's the point of that FAQ entry I linked.

Here is an example. This is how I had it for a long time before I switched to DHCP at home:

- My home LAN was fixed IP addresses. The range was 10.0.0.xxx.

- For instance, my home PC was 10.0.0.42 and the empeg was 10.0.0.43.

- My work LAN was DHCP addresses in the range of 10.123.75.xxx.

- Plugging the empeg into the work LAN is not a violation of the lan specification. It's just that none of the PC's on the LAN can talk to it (because of their 255.255.255.0 subnet mask).

- So all I had to do was add a second TCP/IP connection on my work PC with the address of 10.0.0.44. This also does not violate the LAN specification, the rest of the LAN continues to function normally.

- The result is that I have a little private 10.0.0.xxx subnet sharing some bandwith on the local LAN hub. This private subnet has two computers on it: My work PC and the empeg. The work PC also participates on the larger 10.123.75.xxx subnet seamlessly.

See?