Like other folks here, I don't really listen to the radio any more either. However, most of the artists I like died years ago (I'm into 30's and 40's jazz music). I "discover" old music mostly by poking through Amazon and seeing what's available from any given artist, although I've started playing with eMusic.com, which finally has a reasonable selection of jazz music. Now, I can start by searching for an artist that I like, see what record labels they've recorded with, then look at everything available from the label. For the smaller independent labels (e.g., Concord Jazz), you can do very well this way.

For discovering new (i.e., living) artists, as well as older artists that I haven't heard of before, I mostly rely on a combination of things.

- Live acts. When I travel, I hook up with the local swing dancers, and they'll often have local bands playing for their dances. If I like what I hear, I buy the CD.

- Other DJs. Every local swing dance scene has local DJs. If they play something I like, I go ask them what they're playing. I've picked up some awesome and obscure cuts this way.

- TV shows. One of my favorite shows was/is Sessions at West 54th Street. They only had three seasons, but they got some fantastic bands. It's currently airing on Trio. There are some other music-themed shows out there like the BET Sunday Jazz Brunch, Musicians (Bravo, I think), and so forth. The "hit rate" on getting something you like isn't very high, but these things are still better than nothing.

(And, for saving the audio bits from the TV, I run the S/PDIF output of my TiVo into my sound card, snarf the bits directly, and run them through lame...)