This is almost certainly a complete scam.

I have competed in (and won) more than a few audio competitions, and what I have to show for it is not $175,000 but maybe $175 worth of trophies!

I understand that cash prizes are awarded at IASCA National Championship events... but it is highly unlikely that a VW Beetle could do well at such a venue if for no other reason than limitations in size of passenger compartment and lack of options for locating speakers and other equipment. It is also unlikely that any device playing audio from MP3's (even an empeg insert flame war here...) could place well in a national competition. In fact, at my last local competition the judges told me that unless I could play their (i.e., the judges' own) official IASCA CD they would not judge my car. They won't allow judging from a modified (i.e., MP3'd) CD, or even my own official IASCA CD. So once I get my empeg, I will have to work out some method of playing CDs in my car as well as MP3s. Sigh... :-(

My sincere advice (completely unnecessary here, I know) is don't send this guy any money. You'll never hear from him again if you do.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"