The situation:
===============================
A VW Golf V6 (-00 model), no head-unit installed, the basic (but a very good; what I've seen myself and heard other people say of them) set of factory Golf speakers installed. Not going to change the pre-installed speakers but actually wishing to use them, buying an amplifier (as the Empeg mk.2 needs one) and also a (boxed) 10" sub-woofer for the trunk. I am not looking forward to getting any other head-unit than the Empeg.

The dilemma:
What amp and sub would you guys recommend? I know this is a tough question as there are probably thousands of different options. My point is: I want a clear but powerful sound, not anything that sounds like a mangled washing machine. I want the bass sounds cut sharp from the sub so that it will not rumble all frequencies. I am not looking forward to pay too much but on the other hand I'm not trying to get the cheapest possible option.

My thoughts:
I've been going through some local stores' websites and have found several options. The following 'brands' are available to me and seem to have some fair priced options: Rockford, Ultimate, JBL, Phoenix Gold,..

I must admit I have no real knowledge which of these brands are worth my thoughts, other than the little that I've heard from some of my friends. What would you guys go for?

Currently these sound like a fair choice to pair with the Empeg:

amp - Ultimate UHC 5 4x60W + 1x150W
sub - Ultimate Max dB MAX 10" 2 x 2 Ohm / 225 W

Am I being stupid here? Is this a good brand compared to the others mentioned?

Antti 'Amarth' Luostarinen
#14229 in queue
try BatMUD - telnet bat.org ;)