Not sure about the GPS, does it output NMEA? If so, then you just need to figure out the wiring.

Yes, it's NMEA. My concern was only with wiring and voltages and such. There was some discussion in another thread about whether or not it was really RS-232 because it was meant to interface with a Palm, not a PC.

Right now gpsapp doesn't do 'maps', it just shows a route and directions that are grabbed (off-line) from the mapsonus website.

That's fine with me, that's all I'd ever want anyway.

So I would like to add on-line routing at some point, probably based off of the tiger/line datasets. I've already looked at those a bit and they are quite amusing, no one-way street information and it doesn't know about bridges and such.

Right, others have come to that same conclusion. I actually prefer your current method because it uses a web-based system which can (in theory) do much better route-finding using much more up-to-date maps than something built in to the player ever could.

The parser that converts the raw route descriptions is a Python script and a bit picky.

Ouch. Any solutions for us Windows users?