There was a "layman's version", a distribution that's just the needed binaries, in ZIP form so that you don't run into the CR/LF problem in WinZip.

Not my fault that winzip is messing up the files. Zip has it's own problems like not preserving directory layout and requiring nagware/shareware/limited time demo programs to unpack the archive.

The instructions were cleaned up a bit and made clearer for laymen, including things such as how to chmod 755 the files.

Actually I just went to update the readme file and it says quite explicitly 'upload gpsapp and hack_init to /programs0 and make sure they are executable (chmod 755).' I guess I'm not a layman, should I have included the manual page for chmod?

Ok, it missed out on the incar program, but if that isn't installed or not executable everything will still work. incar is just to avoid starting gpsapp when the player is not running with -s- (i.e. when we're on AC), and that functionality probably should end up in preinit somehow.

If it included an FTP script like Bitt's preinit did, even better.

You can't run an executable like hack_init from an ftp script. However now that preinit v6 has the blocking functionality, it should be possible to get rid of hack_init completely. At some point the installation will be something like 'dump gpsapp in /programs0, and M50gpsapp/B00init in /programs0/preinit.d and we're done. If I move the protocol selection to config.ini and preinit can run executables the instructions could even become, upload gpsapp to /programs0/preinit.d/M50gpsapp
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp