I just wonder how WorldWar2 wout have endet if the janks had been speaking german

OK, now I just have to tell this story...

Back in the 1970's I worked as Service Manager at the local Volkswagen dealer. This was when all VW's were air-cooled 4-cylinder rear-engined cars. Four G.I.s (American soldiers) pushed a VW Beetle to our shop from a few blocks away where they had just finished overhauling the engine. Not knowing any better, they had neglected to set the crankshaft endplay, and the engine wouldn't turn. So they asked for our help in diagnosis.

We sent Big Klaus out to take a look, and he discovered the problem in moments. Now Big Klaus looked like a poster boy for Teutonic excellence -- 30 years old, 1.9 meters tall, 200 pounds, blonde, crew-cut, blue eyes, strapping good health. The G.I.s didn't like his diagnosis, so they began pushing the car up and down the street popping the clutch in second gear, whereupon the car would skid to a stop with the rear wheels locked up.

Big Klaus stood out on the street watching this comedy of errors, hands on hips, shook his head, and said in his thick German accent (please bear with my attempts at phonetics): "Amedican G.I.s like zat, und still ve lose der var."

I can close my eyes and see it again just as if it were yesterday...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"