Hi folks, sorry if this was answered in the FAQ or on the board, but I couldn't find it.

I just received a new player I am purchasing on escrow. The unit won't get past the RIO boot screen and the hard drive sounds like it's crashed; giving a quiet, constant, rhythmic click until I yank the plug. So, I am guessing that someone at UPS dropped it or something and the drive is crashed.

Are there any suggestions as to what I can do? Sure, the seller can take it back and give me a different one, but I have to work the escrow deal so it works. But if I end up stuck with the player, what can I do? Can I take the drive out and do a standard RMA with the manufacturer? Should I send the drive to support (which would cause some shipping charges I don't want to pay)? Or should the whole unit go to support?

I'm still new to empeg so I really don't want to remove the cover and start doing drive work. And the unit I'm reviewing is still on escrow, so I kinda' don't own it enough yet to start tearing it apart. I'm kind of F'ed because the review period is only 3 days. I'd REALLY hate to cancel the transaction and loose my exhorbitant $40 in escrow fees. Man, what a bind. Thoughts? Please? Thanks all.