My reasons for owning an SUV:
1. Comfort
2. Interior Storage ability (about every 2 weeks)
3. Being up high above the crowd
4. Towing ability (about every 2 weeks)
5. Knowing that if I get in an accident, it is the other guy's car that gets crumpled.
6. Offroading ability. I go totally off-roading about once a year, although it is nice to be able to jump curbs and other obstacles much more often.

Here I will compare to my minivan:
1. My Odyssey would have no problem fitting you in. It has about 5 inches of room above my head (I'm about 6'), and that's with the seat all the way up.
2. I've talked about storage. Can't beat my Honda there.
3. I tend to think that I'm higher than other vehicles, but I don't think I obstruct too many views. Let's just say that I get pissed off when I'm behind an SUV, so I can't be all that tall. Can anyone with a normal-height sedan tell me what it's like behind an Odyssey?
4. Towing is an issue. That's one of the things that an SUV is good for. If you tow, then I'm glad you're one of the 4 people who use their SUVs for what they're for. (Although it depends on what you're towing. I can't find the numbers for my vehicle yet, but I know it's not too bad)
5. I'm not a fan of that argument either.
6. See #4

I still don't find any advantage to SUVs, but I'm glad you're using yours rather than hauling your kids around.