In reply to:

Car manufacturers are racking in big bucks in SUV purchases and are not going to suddenly have an epiphany, drop the production of current SUVs, return all of their year-end bonuses after realizing their failure in advancing future technologies

Yeah, not unless your government has an epiphany of sorts and makes them do it.

The only epiphany I can see that will cause that right now is an election - and thats the end of next year, or maybe the election after that in 2008.

Tax breaks are not bad IMHO - and in any case you will be the one paying for them out of your own taxes.

But it still wrankles - and tax breaks and special cases have a bad habit in the US of becoming "the norm" from then on.
[witness how come the SUV thing came about in the first place - special rules (or no rules) for light trucks].

The current lack of emission and similar rules on SUVs should be changed to make the current SUVs design have a definite "phase out time period" in the next 4-5 years, so that Detroit has to innovate.

Heck, you put a man on the moon in 10 years from practically nothing, how long would you think it would take Detroit to really sort the SUV problem out if they were given the mandate - and maybe some government funds to do so.

The benefits to all mankind could be enormous - and probably of more day to day use than putting men on the moon.
[but maybe not as inspiring I'd admit].

In reply to:

I can fantasize about the world I'd like to live in but wake up everday in the world I do live in

To quote your president JFK - From a speech delivered by John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United Sates of America to the joint sitting of the Dáil and Seanad on June 28th 1963.

In reply to:

George Bernard Shaw, speaking as an Irishman, summed up an approach to life: “Other people”, he said, “see things and . . . say: ‘Why?’ . . . But I dream things that never were—and I say: ‘Why not?’”