Well, that post of mine you linked to is just over a year old and that was the last time I messed with IrDA on the empeg so I'm not really up to speed on this. Over the past year, I have learned a couple tidbits that might help...

First problem is that the regular hijack kernel doesn't have IrDA or module support (no real demand for either). Right now, I'm running a kernel that yn0t_ compiled for me... it's Hijack v300 + audio overlay patch + IrDA.

I seem to have lost irattach along the way so I just d/l'd and recompiled it. The Makefile in irda-utils-0.9.15 doesn't look like it wants to cooperate with cross-compiling, so I just CD'd into irattach and ran make there... seemed to work ok. I tried the same for irdadump, but it complains that I don't have glib.h. I ran a find for it on the linux box I'm compiling on and it doesn't have it so I'm not sure what's up with that... mind posting a copy of your irdadump binary?

Now on the empeg, I get this:
sh-2.03# cat /proc/tty/drivers

pty_slave /dev/ttyp 3 0-255 pty:slave
pty_master /dev/pty 2 0-255 pty:master
serial /dev/cua 5 64-66 serial:callout
serial /dev/ttyS 4 64-66 serial
/dev/console /dev/console 5 1 system:console
/dev/tty /dev/tty 5 0 system:/dev/tty
ircomm /dev/ircomm 161 0-31 serial
So I made the following device:

crw-r--r-- 1 0 0 161, 0 Jan 30 00:28 /dev/ircomm0

Now when I run
irattach /dev/ttyS2 -s
it doesn't give any errors.

However, I still don't know how to use it... I open a terminal window on my PC to COM3 (my IrCOMM port using my PC's IR dongle). Pointing at the empeg, I then run
cat /dev/ircomm0
and type stuff on the PC... nothing shows up. I tried the other way 'round too, but nothing shows up. On the PC, I don't know what baud rate I should use, but if I was anywhere within an order of magnitude of the right baud rate, I should get garbage, not nothing.

I don't know how else to test IrCOMM... I have a Palm III, but what do I do on the Palm to make something show up in the terminal window that's connected to the IrCOMM port?