Hokay..
Now, I'm not that great at programming.. what little I know I've taught myself. (C, mostly.)
I love logic problems, tho. Muahaha.
Looking at the spec-sheet for the VFD, it's wouldn't be that hard at all to send the display to the VFD (heck, Hugo said he already did it.)
The only problem with a 'live' screen would be the fact that we're sending data over a serial port. Un-optimized, each screen of data would require:
6bytes x 4 (setting up each 8px line of graphics), then
128bytes x 4 (each of the four lines)..
That's 536bytes for a screen. Then you have to wait for the displays PSU (which, according to spec is 50usec + (5msec * # data bits)..

So, a realtime display prolly won't be easy to do. But, you could probably get close.
The kicker is to:
1. Send data to the screen and not overload the screen's buffer/PSU.
2. Use smart encoding in the program to skip all blank screenbits and just position the cursor at the next screen bit with a pixel on.
3. Somehow convert the raw PNG data into mapped 1x8 squares. (I'm not too good with the low-level operations of graphics. This one challenges me the most.)

(Of course, with what I wanted the display for was simple track info - The usual - name, artist, year, album, etc etc. I don't need hypnotizing visuals right in front of my face in Atlanta traffic. Heh.) I like the fact that I can program in sprites (user icons) and use them like standard characters. So maybe I can have the playlist or something listed as a title, or such.) I am really impressed with the display, tho. This company seems to have their stuff together..

Me.