Noritake has lots of other serial displays that are 128x32 or higher.. Since we're writing the software to drive them the Empeg display could be integer scaled (for example one nice display is 256x64 and would fit right in a DIN slot), or you could display other info on the extra pieces of display, like say GPSApp (slightly modified), without interfering with your view of the Player. Going to a smaller res obviously has issues with what you want to crop off.

The two of particular interest to me (I got one of each) are the 140x32 7000-series and the 256x64 3100-series (specifically the D model is the one that is DIN-sized. The 3100s have apparently been replaced by 3900s that aren't much different, but their site isn't updated to reflect it.

The threads of interest are in Projects, Backlit Display and Project: External VFD Display.

If you're interested in hiding your Empeg in the trunk (my goal) I've also put together a serial controller with a Grayhill joystick that has all 7 actions on one stick (no direct link, go to grayhill.com and enter part number 60A). Eventually I'll have software ready to run that other people could use and write drivers for other displays. foxtrot_xray is working on his own software too for his 128x32.