My suggestion is to try something different, that is if you can afford to.

I left my tech job (intentionally) about a year ago, and recently found myself in need of funds. I turned my back on the tech industry, seeing as it was in a shambles and started looking for something else career-wise. I ended up taking a job as crew on the Hy-Line high speed ferry from the Cape to Nantucket. The job is pretty fun, I get to spend all day out on the water in Nantucket sound (gorgeous), I get to operate their new 7 million dollar catamaran jet ferry (really fun), and the people I work with are pretty cool. Plus no stupid office politics, and no boring meetings. The work is not as mentally stimlulating, but it is more physical, which feels good.

The change from sitting in an office all day is profound. My work environment is much improved, and my job satisfaction is up. I still keep my hands in tech by doing freelance work on the side, but so far its been a pleasant change of pace. And I'm gaining boat hours towards a captains license. Hmmm... could be a new career path...

Granted this job only pays about half of what I was used to getting, but irregardless my standard of living seems to be about the same. I just need to be a little more careful with my spending habits.

Anyway, just something to think about while perusing the classifieds...