Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I was hoping for some advice on how to proceed about testing for this problem. I have a MkII (not a) player that I'm installing in my fiance's 98 Nissan Altima (getting married next month, so I have to show some kind of committment. ) I finished wiring the harness and after double and triple checking the wires, went out to try it in the car. When I inserted the player, however, it started to boot, then made a little popping noise and the drives spun down for a moment and spun back up. But then the player started and worked fine. Ever since then, however, my player has been stuck in AC mode. I can force DC mode with Hijack, but otherwise it is always AC. I opened it up and didn't see or smell anything strange, but I really don't know what to look for. I guess what I'm wanting to know is if the AC sensor switch happened to screw up right before the install, or if I've popped a fuse somewhere. The player continues to work fine in my car and in the MLord docking station, but must be forced into DC mode in either location. Any help as to diagnosing the exact problem would be greatly appreciated.

install notes:
This is my 4th empeg install and I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly. All the connections are soldered with heat-shrink and tested for continuity. It's a very simple install, just running the empeg into the AUX-in on the existing Pioneer HU. The wiring for the pioneer unit and the empeg run into a factory harness adapter from Crutchfield and plug into the factory plugs. I didn't test the pins on the sled for voltage levels, but the Pioneer unit is working fine off the same power wires.