Holy **F**! You had a nail in your eye and it didn't hurt, but left your sight blury and felt like an eyelash? Damn! I can not even fathom the situation. I always thought an eyeball would just pop if it was peirced.

Glad to year you recovered. And thanks for posting this. Here I was whacking away at brick all weekend with a hammer and crowbar without ANY protective eyewear on. Never again after hearing this story. At least I use eyewear while weedwhacking. Flying bits of thissle are simply nasty.

And yes, I read about that Jens guy. Those optic implants seem amazing. I had no doubts that this kind of thing could be done: mapping on the brain the discrete points of light which compose visual reception and using a computer to convert digital video into said brain signals. Like they said in the article, the guy could probably just swap in infrared cameras, zoom lenses, or anything else in place of the "digital eyes" he has now. Simply amazing.

Now, who will write the plugin to have the empeg translate audio to the electrical signals our brains receive from the innerworking of our ears? Talk about "pure digital audio". The "direct to brain" concept bypasses the final analog component; our beautifuly designed ears. (friggin amazing things they are, really)