OK, I will jump in, too

My experience with ABS agrees with yours, Doug, be it on ice, packed snow, wet leaves (frequent stuff in autumn), wet asphalt or dry (in other words, more or less everywhere). Of course, we are talking correctly working ABS with independent sensors and actuators for each wheel.

I noticed several times that ABS was 'fooled' into activating when I hit a large pothole, bump, tram tracks or something while braking (because the wheel gone airborne did slow down for a moment), but that was just for a fraction of a second and only on affected wheel (or at least that was how it felt).

My ABS does display a persistent quirk: sometimes, when the weather is wet and I pass very near a strong source of EM radiation (e.g. cellular tower) on my right side, ABS controller would declare inconsistent sensor data and switch itself off (leaving me with 'ordinary' brakes'). Engine restart (i.e. power-off reset) cures this.

Finally, didn't they ban ABS on F1 cars in order to slow them down (together with other measures like less grippy tires, no active suspension etc)?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue