This is something that rubs me wrong about automatic tags... they aren't always right.

Well, genre is subjective...

Keep in mind that what's rubbing you wrong isn't so much the automatic tag technology, it's the fact that the data comes from a database maintained by the general public. Whoever tried to tag that Beck album first is the one that chose the genre. I dunno if this new software allows updates, but the CDDB does so I'll bet this one does, too. So if you think it should be some other genre, you'd tell the software to update the database with a more correct one.

Despite that hassle, it's a lot better than a complete lack of tag information, and certainly better than having to look up the information manually. Still, I always carefully go through my own tags, whether I'm assigning them myself or I'm getting them automatically.

That's really the only thing keeping me from demanding that everybody fill out the lyric field in ID3v2 tags: You'd be depending upon some yokel to fill out the lyrics correctly. Then you'd download "Purple Haze" and the screen would scroll "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."