Then how do you explain my "Across the Universe" thing? When the filename was "BEATLES -- Across the Universe.mp3", when it was loaded into the player it eventually filled out the track name field and the artist field. The others were blank. And there was no tag info on the file to start with.

Then I renamed the file "song.mp3" just to test it. It didn't find it, and left the word "song" in the track name field.

Then there's the test I ran with Beck's "Loser". In the very first post in this thread, the xml found the info for an arbitrary song off of Beck's Mellow Gold album, the same one that "Loser" is on. But when I loaded "Loser", it didn't find it. Instead it did the same as the Beatles tune, and put the filename, sans-extention, in the track name field.

I'm still figuring out how this thing works. also, is it possible to return info to the database using PMA? How does it know if we don't want it to fill out our tags for us.

Er.. When you say "tags" what exactly are you referring to? ID3 tags? What application are you referring to? The PMA or this test program? You need to be a bit more specific. :)

The PMA will do this in this order:

1) Parse the filename (Artist, Title, Album, etc) into the correct places
2) Parse the ID3 tag info (if any)
3) Attempt to identify the song with the song fingerprinting technology.

It will override any of the above "tags" with each of its predecessors.

In the PMA, if you do NOT have a "eTantrum ID" under the File status column, that song did NOT get identified with the songprint technology. It is relying on #2 or #1 from above.

The PMA does not have the option to enter song information if it is not found in our database (like the songprint SDK does). Once again, the PMA is older technology and the songprint SDK is newer.

My recommendation would be if you are just trying to see our identification system, use the program I linked to above. It will tell you if the songs you have are in our database, and if they aren't, you can add the information via a web page.

(O|||||O)