I interviewed for a new job today at another company, and although I have no idea I'll get it, I think it went well. In the conversation with the HR rep, most of the "circumstances" of the job (salary, benefits, etc.) seemed to be in line with what I have at my current job, and the work they're doing may be a significant upgrade in terms of what I'd be doing on Day One, and what I could work myself into in the future. There are slight differences in certain benefits areas, etc. but most key things I'm concerned about seem compatible.

The one reservation I have is that the company only provides for 2 weeks vacation (along with 10 paid holidays) until you're there for 5 years. I asked if this is negotiable, as most terms are, but she assured me that this is a company-wide policy and they don't make exceptions.

Now, I know 2 weeks is pretty standard for someone starting off at a new job, but after only 3 years at my current job I was eligible for 3 weeks, and I could purchase a 4th week that I'd get reimbursed for if I didn't take it. I found it very strange that the company wouldn't consider adjusting this policy, but I got the distinct impression there was no wiggle room.

So would any of my fellow full-time Americans care to comment on paid time off policies at their workplace? Is it uncommon for someone to be given 3 weeks vacation to start a new job? Are most companies similarly firm in not negotiating the # of weeks vacation? I just want to get a feel for if I'm spoiled now by having 3 weeks vacation, or if I'd be justified in being a little hesitant to accept an offer where I have to work for 5 years before I get a third week. I'm trying to weigh the various pluses and minuses of this opportunity in case I do end up getting an offer.

Thanks.