I was wondering about that topic too, Tony. In my dad's business, it is also "use it or lose it." He was tired of people taking off large amounts of time. Typically, though, people are so irresponsible with their leave time, they wouldn't have any to carry over anyway. So many people will take a day here and there in the first 5 months of the year, then November rolls around and they're sick as a dog but can't miss work.

That's another topic that I haven't seen mentioned here once: sick days. Does anyone's company differentiate? Since my father manages his business, he decided that he was tired of people calling in and faking sick, so they did away with sick days and went to a single number.

Oh, and there's a guy in my girlfriend's office who's been there forever, and he never takes a sick day. He must have years of sick days saved up.

One system I thought sounded pretty good was that you could only accrue one year of leave, so that every year you would lose the days of leave you didn't take two years ago. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.