Later, to compress to mp3, go "Tools > Compress Waves" to add them to the queue.

I tried that, and it worked just the way you said it would.

However... doing it that way doesn't write the tag information into the MP3 file. Since I create my MP3 tags from my filenames, this isn't too severe a problem... EXCEPT that my filenames do *not* contain the "year" nor the "genre" information, and since I am already pushing the limits of my maximum filename size, I can't readily add those to the filename construction in EAC.

I do recommend something like RazorLame

You are not the only one to recommend this. I will give it a look. However, since I only have 13 more audiobook CDs to rip/encode (LOTR, BBC version), and a boxed-set of 10 classical music CDs that just arrived from Amazon left to do, it's probably too late to help me very much now.

Finally, rather than start a new thread with a new question... in MP3TS, some of the operations offer a "Include Subdirectories" check box. The operation "File tools (repair, trim...) --> VBR header repair/add" does NOT offer this option. Does anybody know a way to do this operation on an entire directory tree, or do I have to select each goup of files separately? (I don't know if it is EAC or Lame that is the culprit, but 100% of my MP3 files is shown by MP3TS to have invalid VBR headers.)

tanstaafl.