after a few tries, i have come to a two fold conclusion on my RebuildDatabase errors.

first of all, the reason why it can't write the /empeg/var/tags file is because it sets / as rw, not the music partitions. this is demonstrated by me actually running 'rwm' right before executing the command, and it has no trouble writing all of the necessary files. this becomes unnecessary if we do it from the GUI, since the sync makes the music partitions writable.

but unfortunately, the resulting database is corrupt. i imagine that its because you're counting the number of kftp err=-2 lines before terminating the fid scan. i imagine this is to prevent jemplode from scanning way past the maximum fid. this is fine and dandy for most, but i recently deleted the first 2000 songs that i first uploaded, and probably decimated the _00000 and _00001 directories totally as a result. so it only gets to /_00002/ (actually, its _00003 now, since i started uploading and probably reusing the deleted fids) before terminating and trying to write the tags and database3 files.

so, if this is what really is happening (didnt look at the source, so be gentle), might i suggest recursively doing an ls -al in ftp and parsing the results, instead of blindly trying to read fids?