I've been working on my girlfriend's dad's computer. They were so hopelessly overrun with adware, spyware, and viruses that the whole system was nearly impossible to use. Browsing the internet was impossible due to all the browser hijacks running on his system.

I brought over a disc with all kinds of software on it, but mainly AdAware, Spybot, and AVG. The final results: over 600 objects found in Adaware and Spybot, and a total of 61 viruses. I have no idea what the hell these people are doing with their computer.

I had him buy AdAware Plus so he could have that Ad-Watch program it comes with. He needs it since he won't run these tests very often.

So the final problem is that of his modem. It seems it's impossible to get his dialup modem to stop attempting to connect. He's always had this problem, so I think it's unrelated to the crap that was on his system. During one reboot, the Windows GUI hadn't finished loading and his modem was already attempting to connect to his provider. Then if you attempt to disconnect from the service, it will, but it'll just start connecting again.

What could the problem be?