I was just going to find a way for the page to know where it was loaded, then load the appropriate image for that button at that point. If there's another way to do it I'm open to suggestion!

I typically write my sites to run from a wrapper script. This means that the URL always contains the section of the site you are in and it can simply be called by looking at the variables passed to the script, rather than the actual file being loaded.

For example:

index.php?f=about instead of about.php
index.php?f=news instead of news.php

To the user, it looks like the entire site is running from one huge script, but in your index.php script, simply put the line:

include($f.'.php');

This will just load the file named news.php. You'll want some error handling code here - check that the file exists and if it doesn't default to something like home.php.

For your navigation, you can now work out what page you are on simply by looking at the content of $f.

Another benefit of using wrapper scripts is that you can call commonly used code in one place, so you don't need to have include calls and database connection code at the top of every script.