Nope - Hijack does not interfere with ls at all, so if ls doesn't show files in a certain directory then they just ain't there

I know hijack has nothing to do with ls. That's not what I was talking about. What I was talking about was the fact that hijack intercepts file system access to /empeg/fids directories, as referred to here. Since that's what I was doing, and I know hijack is in the middle of that, that's why I'm suspicious that it might have somehow inadvertantly caused the disappearance.

It's not that hijack's somehow hiding the files. They're really gone, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Possibly - check through the faq to ensure correct syntax for commands, and to make sure the drive is correctly mounted (mind you, if you can create dirs, then I guess it is rw)

If I can somehow cause half my files to be obliterated, then I'm pretty sure it was rw.

B.E.M.'s?

Maybe it's late, but I'm not catching this. I'm totally guessing here: Big Evil Monsters?

By the way, that faq entry is just about ftping stuff back and forth. I was hoping for a good recursive shell command that would automatically go into each directory, and move the fids to the corresponding directory on the other drive. Something that will take into account the fact that mv won't move a directory onto another with the same name, but also makes mv move the stuff that's inside, also creating the directories on the target if they don't already exist.

Sure it's moot now, since half my files are gone, but just for my own edification I'd like to see how someone more familiar with Linux would do it.

Edited by adavidw (09/03/2004 03:30)