Did it end up in /drive0/fids/_00000 by any chance?

Ooh, good guess! That is indeed where it ended up. (head isn't on the empeg, though, apparently). My 666 and my aaa file are indeed in there, along with about a dozen other fids with yesterday timestamps. I'm surprised not to see more, considering I moved a ton of files yesterday. Is it possible that rather than overwriting files with duplicate names, mv just ignored files with duplicate names? Or is it possible that it did overwrite them but they kept the old timestamps?

Obviously my logic was flawed from the beginning, because if they did go into the /fids0 directory, there would have been tons of duplicate names and very few files. But, is there anything hijack could be doing better here, not to save retards like me, but to make the file system appear 'normal' for lack of a better word? From hijack's perspective, it probably only seeing mv say to the kernel "write a file called 'aaa' to /empeg/fids0" and not having any idea where it came from. So, hijack is then saying to itself "that's obviously fid 00000aaa, and since there are fid subdirectories present, i'll put that in _00000/aaa". Is it even worth it to think about making hijack only do this if the player's running, or if it's not coming from the shell, or any other hacky things like that?